Thursday, November 5, 2009

5x10 - Sabrina's Perfect Christmas

Sabrina is sitting at the table in the kitchen looking at the mail.


SABRINA (reading)

Happy holidays from the York family.


ROXIE

More like the Dork family. What is it about Christmas that makes people want to wear matching outfits?


SABRINA

Oh, the Yorks' dress alike for every holiday. Last St. Patrick’s day, they were all leprechauns. Cute on the baby, disturbing on everyone else.


MORGAN

Speaking of disturbing, Josh can’t come home with me for Christmas. His family is dragging him to Aruba to stay at some five star resort on the beach. Poor thing, he’ll be pining for me all week.


Miles comes into the room, carrying with him his bags after Roxie and Sabrina share a gazed look.


MILES

Well, time for another joyous, uplifting Hanukkah with my family. Oh, I almost forgot my ant-acid.


SABRINA

You know, I’ve never been to a Hanukkah celebration. What does your family do?


MILES

We light candles, spin the cradle and then twelve people attack a helpless brisket. I’d better take the Imodium AD. (looking through the medicine cabinet) Well I’m off to my parents...unless I’m abducted by aliens on the way, God willing. (exits)


SABRINA

So Roxie, what’s your family doing for Christmas?


ROXIE

The usual. We put up an aluminium tree, get take-out from Taco Bell and I watch my dad and step mom exchange cartons of Winston Lights.


MORGAN (coming over to the table with her coffee)

Your family exchanges cigarettes?


ROXIE

Hey, It’s just not Christmas without a visit from jolly old St. Nicotine. (walks off into her room)


MORGAN (to Sabrina; taking Roxie's seat)

I guess I should feel thankful. Next to these guys, Christmas with my family seems so normal.


SABRINA

I wish mine did. Just once I’d like to have the perfect white Christmas in the country. Ski-chalet in Vermont, sleigh rides, roasted goose, cutting down your own tree...


MORGAN

Throw in some home made pfeffernuesse and you’ve just described Christmas with my family.


SABRINA

Wow, nothing says Christmas like goose and pfeffernuesse.


MORGAN

Hey, why don’t you come with me? Oh, it would be so great to have a friend along.


SABRINA

Oh, I’d love to, but I can’t. I always spend Christmas with my aunts and this year it’s our turn to host a huge celebration for all our relatives.


MORGAN

Oh, well that sounds like a lot of fun too.


SABRINA

Yeah, fun, insane. It’s such a fine line in my house.


MORGAN (laughs)

Well if you change your mind about Vermont, you’re always welcome. (takes her letters and goes upstairs)


Sabrina opens a letter from a relative, a pop up card.


UNCLE OLAF

Merry Christmas, Sabrina. We can’t wait to see you at your house. Love, uncle Olaf and aunt Dotty.


AUNT DOTTY

Care for a sneak preview of my blubber bowl?


SABRINA

Oh no thanks, I want to have something to look forward to. (as she closes the card some jelly falls out) Ewgh! Blubber!


***


OPENING CREDITS


***


Hilda is cooking in hers and Zelda's kitchen. She holds out a sample to Sabrina on a spoon.


HILDA

Taste this.


SABRINA

Mmm. Eggy...and nutmegy with a slight aftertaste of...wart?


HILDA

It’s legnog. The secret is to use fresh gremlin legs, never frozen.


SABRINA

No, the secret is to ask what’s on the spoon before I let you stick it in my mouth.


ZELDA (over at the table)

I think I’ve finally got our sleeping arrangements while our guests are here. Hilda, you’ll be bunking with me, and Salem, you’re sleeping under the stairs with cousin Ira.


SALEM (on the bench)

Anybody but that creepy little elf!


ZELDA

What do you have against Ira?


SABRINA

A, he stabs me with his pointy ears and B, he likes to watch me when I clean myself.


ZELDA/SABRINA/HILDA

Ew!


SALEM

Mm-hm.


ZELDA

Sabrina, you’ll be doubling up with the sugarplum fairy.


SABRINA

Just what I need, a twinkle toes on a sugar rush who grinds her teeth all night.


ZELDA

Hey now, this is no time to be a gloomy Gus. The holidays are upon us, we’re gonna' have a wonderful Christmas.


SABRINA (sarcastic)

Yeah, a wonderful Christmas.


Sabrina is having a fantasy. In her mind she is sitting next to Morgan in a sleigh as snow falls down on them.


SABRINA/MORGAN

# Jingle bells, Jingle bells

Jingle all the way.
Oh what fun it is to ride
in a one horse open sleigh. Hey!


SABRINA

Morgan, look! Baby deer. Oh they’re so cute. This is what I call the perfect Christmas.


MORGAN

And this is what I call the perfect Christmas present.


Two attractive men approach them, with their skis rested against their shoulders.


GUY 1

Hello ladies.


SABRINA

Oh, well apparently Santa got my list.


MORGAN

We’ll see you on the slopes tomorrow...right after we have our perfect Christmas dinner with roast goose, cranberry stuffing and eggnog.


SABRINA

Wo-who! I love eggnog.


HILDA (V/O)

It’s legnog.


Cuts back to the present, Hilda offering the spoon at Sabrina again.


HILDA

Try it again. I added a soupson of webbed feet.


SABRINA

Aunt Hilda, aunt Zelda, would you guys mind if I wasn’t here for Christmas this year?


SALEM

Dibs on bunking with the fairy!


ZELDA

Sabrina, what are you talking about?


SABRINA

Morgan’s family invited me to go skiing with them and as much as I’d miss you guys, I’d really like to go.


ZELDA

Well, Sabrina, if you want to be with Morgan’s family at Christmas, we’ll understand.


HILDA

We will?


ZELDA

Sabrina shouldn’t be here just because she feels obligated.


HILDA

She shouldn’t? That’s why we’re here.


SABRINA

Thanks, Aunt Zelda, I knew you’d understand. I gotta' go call Morgan.


Sabrina runs into the living room.


HILDA (sitting down at the table)

I can’t believe Sabrina doesn’t wanna' be with family at Christmas.


ZELDA (following Hilda)

Well she’s in college now, meeting new friends. She doesn’t wanna be with her boring old aunties when she could be off shushing down the slopes.


SALEM

I say our little Sabrini has forgot the true meaning of Christmas. Which reminds me, this year I’d like sturgeon and cash.


***


Sabrina and Morgan come into the Cavanaugh's Christmas cabin living room.


MORGAN

Welcome to a Cavanaugh Christmas. (calling) We’re here!


SABRINA

Wow, it’s even more perfect than I pictured. You wouldn’t, by any chance, have cute baby deer running around would you?


Chip, Morgan's brother, comes and greets them.


CHIP

Hi!


MORGAN

Hi! (she and Chip hug)


SABRINA

Even better.


CHIP

I’m Morgan’s brother, Chip.


MORGAN

This is Sabrina.


Morgan's parents come downstairs as Sabrina and Chip keep with custom and shake hands.


MR CAVANAUGH

Hey!


MRS CAVANAUGH

Hello!


MORGAN

And this is my mom and dad. Hi!


MR CAVANAUGH

Hi.


They hug and kiss Morgan.


SABRINA

Wow, it’s great to meet you. I hope you don’t mind me tagging along with Morgan. I mean, she just made your Christmas sound so perfect.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Well it will be now that you’re joining us. How about a cup of mulled cider to warm you up?


SABRINA

Thanks. Oh, you don’t, by any chance, have those little cinnamon thingies to stir it with?


MRS CAVANAUGH

What do you think?


MR CAVANAUGH

Sabrina, make yourself at home. If there’s anything you need, just give a holler.


SABRINA

Oh I wouldn’t wanna' do that, I might wake myself up.


CHIP

If anybody’s interested, I’ve got the tree all ready to decorate.


MORGAN

Oh, or maybe you’d like to do something more relaxing, like roast chestnuts?


SABRINA (motivated)

On an open fire? With Jack Frost nipping at my nose?


MORGAN

Pace yourself. You don’t wanna' peak before we deck the halls.


MR CAVANAUGH

Hey Chip, why don’t you help the girls up to their rooms with their luggage?


CHIP

With pleasure.


MORGAN (to Sabrina)

Come on.


SABRINA (to herself; following Morgan upstairs)

Well it doesn’t get any better than this.


The three of them walk into Sabrina's bedroom. Chip puts down her bags.


SABRINA

Wow, it does get even better.


CHIP

I’ll see you down stairs.


SABRINA (thinking out loud)

I’d like that...I mean, argh...yeah, sure. (Chip walks out)


MORGAN

You can put your clothes in the closet and the bathroom’s through there, but come on. I wanna' show you the view from my room.


SABRINA

Hey, your brother's really cute. Is he dating anybody?


MORGAN

No. You know, for some reason, he just can’t seem to find the right girl.


SABRINA

Oh, well maybe the right girl just needed to find him.


As Sabrina and Morgan leave, the zipper on Sabrina's suitcase on the bed starts to open itself...and Salem pops his head out. He has stowed away.


SALEM

Oh, phew! It’s been a long ride, I need to freshen up. (goes off in the direction of the bathroom)


***


Back at Hilda and Zelda's, they are readying the kitchen for the arrival of their guests, setting out the table.


HILDA

I still say if we’d tied a tether to Sabrina’s back, she couldn’t have abandoned us at Christmas...and we could have had a vigorous game of tether-ball.


ZELDA

I guess this really won’t be the same without her. We’re going to have to reconfigure the seating arrangements.


HILDA

Just don’t put Blitzen near the liquor cabinet. They don’t call him that for nothing.


ZELDA (looking through the cupboard)

I can’t find the dish I use for my emu casserole.


HILDA

I lent it to Sabrina. I’ll go get it, even though the last thing I wanna' do is get stuck in the holiday rush.


Hilda puts on her coat and zaps herself – in a bang of smoke, she is gone.


***


Hilda magically appears in the kitchen at Sabrina's house, her hair ruffled.


HILDA

Oh! It’s madness out there. All right, where’s that dish?


Hilda starts banging around in the kitchen looking for the dish, unaware of Roxie's presence in the living room on the couch. She has a book on her lap, and is half asleep...until she is woken up.


ROXIE

Whoever you are, I’m warning you, I have a black belt!


HILDA

Roxie?


ROXIE

OK, it’s charcoal, but it goes with the shoes. (walking over to Hilda) Hilda, what are you doing here? And what’s with your hair?


HILDA

A better question is, what are you doing here? Sabrina said you were at home enjoying a delightful Christmas involving cigarettes.


ROXIE (walking into the living room again)

I lied, I’m not going.


HILDA (following Roxie)

Well Roxie, don’t you wanna' spend Christmas with your family?


ROXIE (sits down on the couch)

And eat look-warm chalupas while listening to my parents cough up a lung? Pass!


HILDA (sitting next to Roxie)

Well you can’t spend Christmas sitting here all by yourself.


ROXIE

I’ll be fine. I don’t want anyone feeling sorry for me.


HILDA (embracing Roxie)

Oh you poor, pathetic, dear.


ROXIE

Like that.


***


Back at the Cavanaugh's holiday cabin, Morgan is hanging decorations on the Christmas tree, Chip is untangling lights, Mr Cavanaugh is lighting a fire and Mrs Cavanaugh is in the kitchen baking. Sabrina comes downstairs and takes in the sight.


SABRINA (to herself)

Oh, if only I could freeze this moment...actually, I can, but that would be kind of creepy.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Ah Sabrina. Would you like to help me with the cookies? I could use a hand.


SABRINA (walking over to the kitchen)

And I’ve got two. Baking cookies at Christmas time is one of my favourite things to do.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Well isn’t that nice. (uses a pastry cutter to cut circles of cookie mix) Of course, you’re not expected to stay in the kitchen three hundred and sixty-five days a year. (stabs down with the cookie cutter) Like a dutiful wife (with more force)...Trapped (with even more force) Behind (yet more force) her apron!


SABRINA

Argh, maybe I’ll just go and see how Chip’s doing with those lights. (walks over to Chip at the couch) Hey, need any help? Another one of my favourite things to do at Christmas time is untangle lights.


Chip hands her a messy pile of tangled lights.


CHIP

Knock yourself out.


SABRINA (sitting on the arm rest beside Chip)

So argh, Morgan tells me that you’re pre-med at Harvard. That’s great.


CHIP

The truth is, I dropped out two years ago but I haven’t told my parents because I want those cheques to keep coming. Keep that under your hat.


SABRINA

No problem, as long as you promise not to do anything ending in ‘ectomy’ or ‘urgery’.


CHIP

Hey, do you wanna know another secret?


SABRINA

Nope, ones enough for me!


Putting down the tangled lights, Sabrina walks over to Mr Cavanaugh at the fireplace.


SABRINA

So, can I do anything?


MR CAVANAUGH

Stupid thing wont light!


MRS CAVANAUGH (walking over; to Sabrina)

I’ll tell you what you can do. You can show, iron deficient, John over here how to split a log! Any idiot knows you have to split a log if you want it to burn.


MR CAVANAUGH

Oh I’ll burn something for ya! I’ll burn this whole house to the ground!


SABRINA (turning away)

Note to self: check smoke detector in my bedroom.


***


Hilda walks into the living room of hers and Zelda's house through the front door, holding a tray and with Roxie following in her path.


HILDA

OK, I just have to go talk to Zelda for a quick minute. Stay. Sit.


ROXIE

I’m not a dog.


HILDA

I know, I just don’t want you to run away. Or chew anything up.



***


Zelda is in the kitchen reviewing her cook book as she prepares.


ZELDA (reading)

‘Line pan with emu mixture, then top with cream of mushroom soup and durkish fried onions.’ (now situated at the table)


HILDA (entering)

Hi.


ZELDA

Hi. Oh good, you brought the casserole dish.


HILDA

That’s not the only thing I brought. I found Roxie hiding out at Sabrina’s house, so I invited her to spend Christmas with us.


ZELDA

What? Are you mad? We have relatives coming from the Other Realm. (goes back to the counter, Hilda follows)


HILDA

And a poor, pathetic girl from this realm who has nowhere to go on Christmas! She’s sitting out there like a dog.


ZELDA

You know what? We could tell the relatives to move the celebration to aunt Ruby’s and you I could give Roxie a traditional, mortal Christmas!


HILDA

Great! Now we just have to figure out what that is.


***


Sabrina and Morgan are admiring the Christmas tree. Carollers outside are singing Silent Night.


SABRINA

Wow, it’s beautiful!


MRS CAVANAUGH

Except for that one crooked icicle, courtesy of my inept husband. (Sabrina straightens the decoration)


SABRINA

There, now it’s perfect.


MORGAN (alone with Sabrina)

Thanks Sabrina. Look, I...I know my family’s a little nuts...


SABRINA

Oh, don’t worry about it. You wanna' see an assortment of nuts? Come over to my house.


Mr Cavanaugh comes racing down the stairs in a flurry with a fire extinguisher.


MR CAVANAUGH

That’s it!


SABRINA

What’s your dad doing with a fire extinguisher?


Mr Cavanaugh runs over and opens the door on the carollers.


MR CAVANAUGH

All right you whinny bunch of choirboys! I’ll give you a real silent night! (runs outside)


SABRINA (to Morgan)

OK, your family wins first prize in the crazy contest.


MRS CAVANAUGH (to Morgan)

Your father's at it again! (to herself) Early new year's resolution, have him committed! (runs out the front door)


MORGAN

Oh, will you excuse me? It’s usually my job to calm down the police.


Morgan runs out after her family members. Sabrina closes the door and turns back.


SABRINA

OK, this is officially not the perfect Christmas.


SALEM

Bah! Humbug!


Sabrina finds Salem hiding in the tree.


SABRINA

Salem, what are you doing here?


SALEM

I couldn’t stand the thought of cousin Ira staring at me, so I stowed away in your suitcase. By the by, you might want to run a lint brush over your unmentionables.


SABRINA

Salem, you can’t stay here. You weren’t invited.


SALEM

Nobody invited the wise men. Goow! Rum-balls!

Salem goes for the goodies placed out on the coffee table.


SABRINA

You’re so out of here!


Sabrina holds up her finger, ready to zap Salem away...but stops when Chip comes out.


CHIP

Hey, where did the cat come from?


SABRINA

Oh, he’s mine. I’m sorry, he, argh...stowed away... I mean, he accidentally ended up in my luggage. Don’t worry, I’m going to send him home right now.


CHIP

But it’s over two hundred miles, and it’s freezing out there.


SABRINA

Oh, he’ll be fine. Didn’t you see The Incredible Journey? Animals do that kind of thing all the time.


CHIP

Let him stay. I love cats.


SABRINA

But what about the rest of your family? I mean, your father can barely tolerate the carollers let alone...(Chip is staring weirdly at Salem)...Chip?


Sabrina gets no reply, and waves her hand in front of his face in attempt to gain his attention, but, still nothing.


SALEM

Ghe!


***


Hilda is looking over a book called "Mortal Christmas for Dummies", while Zelda stands in the kitchen holding a tray.


HILDA

These are all foods mortals love at Christmas time. Candy-cane, fruit-cake and eggnog.


ZELDA

I still don’t know why they leave out the leg? That’s what gives it the kick.


Hilda and Zelda walk into the living room and find Roxie sitting on the couch watching TV.


ZELDA

Roxie, here’s your tray of traditional Christmas goodies.


ROXIE (standing as she takes the tray)

For me? Thanks. (inhales) They smell great.


HILDA

Fabulous recipe. Got it out of Mortal Christmas For Dummies.


ROXIE

Mortal Christmas?


HILDA

More till Christmas and even more till new years.


ZELDA

You’d better take your tray upstairs, you don’t wanna' be awake when Santa arrives.


ROXIE (sarcastic at first)

Wouldn’t wanna' do that. You guys are so cute! (goes upstairs)


ZELDA (as Roxie has gone)

Well, unless we wanna' be up all night, we’d better get those presents under the tree.


The two of them point underneath the Christmas tree with their magic fingers and in an array of sparkles, an assortment of presents appear.


HILDA

Phew! I’m exhausted. Thank goodness Christmas comes just once a year.


The two of them relax down on the couch.


***


Sabrina is pacing around in her room at the cabin. Salem is on the bed.


SABRINA

What a nightmare. If I’d wanted to see a freak-show, I would have stayed at home.


Sabrina sits down beside Salem on the bed.


SALEM

I’ll give you a nightmare. A full grown man staring at you for three hours without blinking!


SABRINA

Still, it’s gotta be crazier back at my aunts house.


She zaps in front of her a crystal ball, and looks into it to find her aunts sitting on the couch in the living room with their tray of goodies singing.


CRYSTAL BALL HILDA/ZELDA

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fal-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la....


SABRINA

Where is everybody? There is no drunken reindeer! No...no...no hyperglycaemic fairies?


SALEM

No cousin Ira?


SABRINA

I can’t believe it! The one year I decide to go away and they have the perfect, normal Christmas.


SALEM

Let’s blow this loony, log cabin.


SABRINA

But Morgan invited me, what excuse will I give her?


SALEM

We hate here.


SABRINA

Well you write the note, I’ll pack.


SALEM

Got it.


Sabrina gets up, but there is a knock at her door. She has just enough time to cover up her crystal ball when Morgan pops in.


MORGAN

Hey Sabrina, I just wanted to apologise for my family.


SABRINA

Oh no need. You know, you're family's...no need.


MORGAN (entering)

I thought that if I brought a friend up here they might actually behave themselves. Apparently I was mistaken.


SABRINA

Oh, well Morgan, you won't have to worry about that much longer...


Morgan crosses to Sabrina's opposite side.


MORGAN

I know, I know. Christmas will be over tomorrow night. Thank you for putting up with all this. There is no way that I could get through the next twenty-four hours without a good friend like you.


Morgan embraces Sabrina in a hug of friendship. Sabrina and Salem exchange glares.


MORGAN

Well, good night.


SABRINA

Good night. (Morgan exits; Sabrina turns to Salem) You’d better start bathing now, I hear that Chip wakes up really early.


***


Christmas morning. Zelda comes downstairs into the living room dressed in her night gown, only to find that Hilda has beaten her awake.


ZELDA

Merry Christmas, Hilda.


HILDA

Merry Christmas, Zelda.


ZELDA

Ha! Listen to us.


ZELDA/HILDA

We sound like mortals.


Roxie comes downstairs and joins them.


HILDA

Merry Christmas, Roxie.


ZELDA

Merry Christmas, Roxie.


ROXIE

Merry Christmas. (notices the presents under the tree) Wow, I guess Santa did show up last night.


ZELDA

Yep! And he brought you all these presents.


ROXIE

Really?


Roxie picks up a present, and Hilda snatches it from her.


HILDA

Well, except for that one. That one’s for me...no, I’m kidding! (handing the gift back) They’re all for you.


ROXIE

I can definitely get into this holiday!


***


Christmas morning over at the cabin. Sabrina and the Cavanaugh's are all gathered around the seating in the lounge room exchanging gifts.


MORGAN

Thank you, Sabrina. Oh this is so pretty.


SABRINA

Well, you’re always borrowing mine, so I bought you your own.


MORGAN

Then I guess I should give you yours back. (turning to Mrs Cavanaugh) Mom, open the present I got you.


MR CAVANAUGH

If you’re not too looped on the rum-balls.


MRS CAVANAUGH

It’s the only way to survive Christmas with you.


MORGAN

I hope you like it. I think it’ll look really good on you.


Mrs Cavanaugh opens the present.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Oh well, this...is not exactly my colour and oh, that fabric is itchy.


MR CAVANAUGH

It doesn’t matter, all she wears to bed is sweat suits anyway... and she’s still cold as ice.


SABRINA

Well I think it’ll look beautiful on you Mrs. Cavanaugh. What do you think, Chip?


Sabrina looks over at Chip, but he is busy staring at Salem.


SALEM (V/O in thoughts)

What is he staring at? I’m not doing anything! That guy's whacko!


Salem starts to move away...Chip suddenly comes back.


CHIP

Where are you going, little kitty?


Chip places Salem on his lap.


MORGAN

Aargh, dad.


MR CAVANAUGH

Yeah?


MORGAN

This is from me. I think it’s something that you’ll really enjoy.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Oh, I hope it’s a log splitter...or better yet, a real man to split them.


MR CAVANAUGH

Ha! (opens the present) Hey!


SABRINA

Wow, a signed Carl Yastrzemski picture. That’s so cool!


MORGAN

I looked all over town for it. I know what a big Red Sox fan you are.


MR CAVANAUGH

It doesn’t look like an original signature. Course how would you know you were getting ripped-off with a cheep reproduction? Boy, they saw you coming.


MORGAN (hurt)

Guess I can’t do anything right.


SABRINA

Of course you can. That’s a very thoughtful gift and a very flattering picture of Yas.


MR CAVANAUGH

I hope you kept the receipt?


Morgan runs outside, her feelings hurt by the lack of appreciation shown by her mother and father.


MR CAVANAUGH

Why does she do that every time she gives me a gift?


SABRINA

Well, it might have something to do with the way you say thank you. I’m gonna go get some air. Come on Salem.


CHIP (defensively)

The cat stays here.


Putting on her coat, she follows Morgan outside onto the porch and sits beside her friend on the bench.


SABRINA

Hey, are you OK?


MORGAN

I am such an idiot! I keep fooling myself into thinking that one year I am actually going to have a normal Christmas.


SABRINA

Yeah, well, normal is relative.


MORGAN

Yeah, too bad my relatives aren’t normal.


SABRINA

Well they aren’t the most appreciative bunch but... Well, you know, I thought the night-gown was beautiful and the autographed picture, totally awesome!


MORGAN

I should have given them to you. (sighs) No matter how hard I try, all my parents do is criticise.


SABRINA

Well, have you ever spoken to them about the way they treat you?


MORGAN

Yeah, like that would do a lot of good.


SABRINA

You know Morgan, I don’t mean to butt-in but before you write this Christmas off, maybe you should go in there and tell them how you feel? And I’m not just saying that because my tongue is starting to freeze to my teeth. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?


MORGAN

Dad could spray me with the fire extinguisher.


SABRINA

So, you’re wet and foamy, but you’ve started a dialogue.


MORGAN

Sabrina, I really appreciate your trying to help, but I just...I...I wanna' get through this and get out of here with whatever dignity I have left.


As they hear a horrid screeching from the window, they look over and find Salem pawing against the glass trying o escape. Chip comes and take him back.


SABRINA

You’re not the only one.


***


Roxie is opening another present from Hilda and Zelda.


ROXIE

‘Dirges and funeral marches of the middle ages’ Tell me it has Grieg’s Elegy on it?


HILDA

The original and the re-mastered dance mix.


ROXIE

You guys are the greatest! (hugs Hilda) I’ve got something for you too.


ZELDA

Oh, presents for us?


ROXIE

It’s nothing really, I didn’t have much time to shop.


She hands Hilda and Zelda a bag.


HILDA (forced excitement)

Lotto tickets!...and Gatorade!


ROXIE

When I snuck out at midnight, the Seven-Eleven was the only place open.


ZELDA

I love Gatorade. I’ve tried to make my own but it’s never as smooth. Perhaps I’m using the wrong kind of gators.


ROXIE

Hey, you guys don’t have to make a big deal about the gifts. I...I know they’re not much.


HILDA

It’s not the gifts that are important, it’s the thought behind them...and you sneaking into that Seven-Eleven speaks volumes.


Zelda hugs Roxie.


***


Back at the cabin, Sabrina is scrunching up the wrapping paper from her present.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Oh no, no, no Sabrina! We can save that. Oh why waste money on gift wrap when we can use it again and again?


SABRINA

Now I’m starting to understand how you’re able to afford the chalet.


MR CAVANAUGH (to Morgan)

Were you able to find that receipt for the Yastrzemski picture?


MORGAN

I didn’t keep it.


MR CAVANAUGH

What do you mean, you threw it away?


MORGAN (starting to get angry...)

Dad, I thought that was the one gift you wouldn’t return!


MR CAVANAUGH

Well I certainly can’t now.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Watch it! Watch it! Watch it! (runs over and takes some wrapping paper from Morgan) Honey! Oh, you’re crinkling perfectly good gift wrap! Oh great, you’ve ruined it.


MORGAN (yelling)

Oh, give me a break! It is a piece of gift wrap! You’ve been using it since nineteen eighty-six!


Sabrina gives Morgan a nod.


MR CAVANAUGH

Morgan, what’s gotten into you?


MORGAN

All you two do is criticise! Well I don’t deserve it! And...and...and I don’t have to take it anymore! And I finally realised that, thanks to my good friend, Sabrina.


Morgan runs off upstairs. Sabrina follows after her in the awkward aftermath.


SABRINA

Gotta go! (heads upstairs but turns back) Oh, but before I do, I just wanna' say one thing. All Morgan is trying to do here is have a nice Christmas with her family, but you guys treat her terribly. And you don’t treat each other very nicely either and if you can’t be nice at Christmas, I don’t even wanna' know what goes on here at Easter. Come on, Salem. (takes him from Chips' lap) We’re out of here. (goes upstairs)


CHIP (calling after Sabrina)

No! Don’t take the cat!


MR CAVANAUGH

I thought we were having a nice Christmas.


MRS CAVANAUGH

Well, so did I.


MR CAVANAUGH

Yeah.


***


Roxie, Hilda and Zelda are gathered around the piano in the living room.


ZELDA/HILDA

# Trill the ancient Yuletide carol...


Sabrina and Salem enter.


ROXIE

# Fal-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-laaaa.


SABRINA (disbelieving)

Roxie? You’re singing?


ROXIE

No I’m not! I was just clearing my throat. (coughs) Fal-la-la-la-la, la-la-la...la.


SABRINA

What are you doing here?


HILDA

I found her hiding at your house, so I invited her to spend Christmas with us. What are you doing here?


ZELDA

Yeah, we thought you were having the perfect Christmas with Morgan’s family?


SABRINA

Well perfect is relative and, compared to them, my relatives are perfect.


HILDA (hugs Sabrina)

I’m glad you’re home, honey.


ZELDA (kisses Sabrina)

Oh, merry Christmas sweetheart.


ROXIE

I can’t believe you’d wanna spend the holidays anywhere else. Your aunts really knock themselves out when it comes to Christmas.


A reindeer suddenly comes wandering in from in the kitchen...Zelda runs over to it.


ZELDA

Blitzen! Didn’t you get my E-mail about the change of plan?


ROXIE

Wow, a real reindeer! You guys are amazing! I’m coming here again next year.


SABRINA

Yeah well, if you’re looking for the perfect Christmas, everything you need is here. Friends, family, reindeer (looking), lotto tickets?


HILDA

Oh, I won! I’m going to the liquor store to get my two dollars. Blitzen, I believe you know the way. Don’t you just love Christmas? (walks out with the reindeer)


***


Roxie walks into hers, Morgan's, Sabrinas' and Miles' house, carrying a large bundle of presents. She is closely followed by Sabrina. Salem is on the counter.


ROXIE

Sabrina, your aunts are so generous. (walks off)


SABRINA

Yeah, that’ll teach me to leave at Christmas time. (finds Miles filling the fridge up with leftover food) Hey, what’s all this?


MILES

My mother packed us a few leftovers. We have enough potato latke's and brisket to clog all the arteries of everyone in New England.


Miles closes the door and heads off. Morgan comes from upstairs and sits on the couch.


MORGAN

Sabrina, I just got off the phone with my dad. You will be happy to know that he is not returning the Yastrzemski picture after all. He decided to put it on his desk at work.


SABRINA

That’s fantastic!


MORGAN

You know, you’ve really made an impression on my family. In fact, they want you to come back next Christmas.


SABRINA

That is so...not going to happen.


MORGAN

I totally understand. Oh, but Chip says, anytime you need a cat-sitter…


Salem screeches and jumps down from his position on the counter.


SABRINA

Also, not gonna happen.


***


END CREDITS


***


Based on characters appearing in ARCHIE COMICS


Episode originally written by Jon Vandergriff