Thursday, January 7, 2010

5x19 - Sabrina, the Activist

Roxie is sound asleep in bed, late at night, when Sabrina sits up in her bed across the room and hauls her flashlight between her shoulders. She clips her toenails...and files. Roxie gets up.


ROXIE

Spellman, this has got to stop! (turns on the light) This is the third night you’ve woken me up because you can’t sleep.


SABRINA

Well, third night’s the charm.


ROXIE

Look, something’s obviously bothering you. What’s going on?


SABRINA

Nothing, I just can’t sleep.


ROXIE

I know the feeling. (gets her pillow) I’ll be on the couch. And don’t tell me nothing’s wrong, you’ve been in a funk for a week. Even your perkiness has lost it’s pop.


Roxie turns for the door.


SABRINA

That is so not true! I am at the poppin’ peak of my perkiness! I’m totally funkless! (the door is slammed shut) Absolutely nothing is bothering me.


Above Sabrina's head a thunder-storm cloud emerges. Rain starts pouring down on her head.


SABRINA

Okay, now something’s bothering me.


***


OPENING CREDITS


***


Zelda is out on her back porch, doing some potting with the plants.


ZELDA(calling to Salem)

How’s the car coming? Is it supposed to sound like that?


Salem comes onto the porch from out on the drive in a mini-mechanic suit and jumps up onto the table.


SALEM

No, it’s not supposed to sound like that. I’m afraid the Zelda mobile is dead.


ZELDA

It can’t be. She was fine yesterday when I drove her to the Piggly Wiggly.


SALEM

I’m telling you, there’s nothing more I can do. It’s time to pull the plug and buy a new car.


ZELDA

What? I can’t do that. Hilda’s not back from her singles cruise for another week and I’ve never bought a car by myself before.


SALEM

There’s a time you’d never been blonde before but you gave that a shot.


Sabrina walks in, with a dark cloud hovering behind her (the one from last night).


SABRINA

Hi, do you notice anything different about me?


SALEM (to Zelda)

Not only is your car dead but your niece needs a smog check.


***


Zelda sits down at the table with Sabrina. Salem is on the table.


ZELDA

You poor dear, I had no idea you were so upset.


SABRINA

Why does everyone keep assuming I’m upset? I...I’m just a little damp.


ZELDA

Sabrina, you have a black cloud over your head. That only happens when a witch is in a funk and keeping it all bottled up.


SALEM

We’re a very literal species.


SABRINA

Well, let’s hope I never become a bleeding heart liberal.


ZELDA

Is this about Kevin?


SABRINA

No.


ZELDA

School?


SABRINA

School's fine, Kevin and I are ancient history and that’s totally OK.


ZELDA

If you don’t mind, I’d like to take a look and see what your little cloud is made of. (looking into the cloud as corresponding images come) Hmm, that’s funny. I’m seeing a lot of sadness over your break up with Kevin. Lingering feelings for Harvey. Conflicted emotions about Josh. And, you’re clearly overwhelmed with school work.


SABRINA

Not even!


***


A little while down the track, and the cloud is gone, as Sabrina lies on Zelda's chest as he vents her emotions.


SABRINA

Some times it just feels like I’m being pulled in so many different directions. You know, like everyone expects me to be perfect all the time.


ZELDA

The only person who expects you to be perfect is you. We all love you no matter what.


SABRINA (sitting up)

Thank you aunt Zelda


ZELDA

And, you see? Just by getting it off your chest, your little black cloud is gone.


SABRINA

But what if it comes back? I don’t wanna' be depressed again. And that wet look is totally dead.


ZELDA (going to the fridge)

Well, Sabrina, the only way to be sure that a black cloud won't return is to get out of yourself. Do something that’s truly for others.


SABRINA

Like what?


ZELDA

Well, you could help me shop for a used car.


SABRINA

Oh, I don’t wanna' set my sights too high. Maybe I’ll start with bathing lepers and work my way up.


***


Sabrina walks into her house from the front door with a flyer. Miles is in the kitchen, Roxie is sat at the table and Josh and Morgan are snuggled together on the couch.


SABRINA

Hey, did anybody see this? I’m thinking of going to the big protest rally this afternoon at the Mayflower Apartments.


JOSH

Oh, yeah, I heard about that. They want to, argh, tear down that old, historic building and make way for a new parking structure.


ROXIE

I am so there. I’ve been to tones of demonstrations. And I don’t mean to get all braggy, but I’ve actually been arrested...twice. Once with Martin Sheen.


SABRINA

Wow. A few more arrests and you’d be qualified to be president.


MORGAN

Well, you can definitely count me in.


ALL EXCEPT MORAN

Really?


MORGAN

Absolutely. If there’s one thing this university needs, it’s more parking.


SABRINA

Morgan, the protest is to save the building and stop the parking structure.


MORGAN

Oh. (sits down again) Have a nice time. Josh and I are just gonna stay here and snuggle on the couch.


JOSH

Actually, I’d like to go to the rally. The Mayflower’s architectures are pretty amazing. I’d love to get some photographs before they level the place.


MORGAN

Crumbling bricks over taut flesh? Good choice.


SABRINA

Miles, how about you?


MILES (walking over with his sandwich)

Challenging authority? Public insurrection? General mayhem? I’m all over it.


SABRINA

Hey, this is our first group act of civil disobedience. Wo-who!


ROXIE

Wo-who? That’ll go over great at the protest. All we are saying is give wo-who a chance.


Roxie leads the way out the door.


***


Salem is on the couch in the living room, with the phone pawed at his side, when Zelda enters.


ZELDA

Salem, I did it. I found the perfect car at the first dealer. It’s blue, the leather is practically new and it has the most darling cup holders.


SALEM

Cup holders? What about the mileage? The tread on the tires? Has the car ever been in a accident?


ZELDA

Oh, I didn’t think to ask, but there’s a lighted make-up mirror on both visors.


SALEM

Never send a woman to do a cat's job.


Zelda walks off. Salem answers the phone as it rings.


SALEM

Yeah, hello?


VOICE

Hello, Mrs. Spellman?


SALEM

Yes, this is Mr. Spellman. My wife hasn’t made up her mind yet.


ZELDA (coming back over)

What are you doing?


SALEM

I know she said she liked the car but I can’t let her take it at that price.


ZELDA

Salem, give me that phone.


SALEM (to the phone)

Let’s just say she’s a lot more competent in the boudoir than she is under the hood.


Zelda takes the phone back and raises it to her ear.


ZELDA

Hello, this is Mrs. Spellman. I’m afraid I’ll have to call you back, I’m about to become a widow.


SALEM

Ghe?


Zelda hangs up on the car dealer.


ZELDA

I told you, I can handle this.


SALEM

Yeah, yeah? Then why did Mr. Let’s-make-a-deal immediately give me five hundred dollars off?


ZELDA

What? He said that price was firm. What makes him think that he can take advantage of me?


SALEM

You’re a rube?


***


Outside the Mayflower building during the protest. Sabrina is standing with a group of students.


PROTESTORS

Save the Mayflower! Save the Mayflower!


SABRINA (handing out flyers)

Save the Mayflower. (to Miles) Oh, this is just what I needed, I am totally out of my funk. I haven’t even thought of my tragic break-up, my grades, my lack of direction...OK, well not as much as I was before. (to a passer) Hey, save the Mayflower.


MILES

This is so morally gratifying and I’m getting fairly decent upper-body work-out.


Miles waves his placard around. Mrs Smiley, an elder resident from the apartments, approaches Sabrina with a tray of lemonade.


MRS SMILEY

It’s a wonderful thing you kids are doing here. Have some lemonade.


SABRINA

Oh, it’s nothing, you know. We’re just holding up a few signs, raising a little a

awareness.


Roxie approaches a police officer.


ROXIE

Listen, lawman, before you break out the canine units or water-cannon, may I remind you that the first amendment of the US constitution clearly states that we have a right for free assembly.


POLICE OFFICER

Jeez, Rox, give it a rest would ya?


ROXIE

Officer Carmichael?


POLICE OFFICER

Yeah.


ROXIE

I didn’t recognise you. You lose some weight?


POLICE OFFICER

Yeah, yeah, I’m on the zone...and I missed you at the no nukes rally.


ROXIE

I had a save the whale's brunch.


Josh is over with Sabrina as he takes a photograph and turns to a resident assisting with the protest.


JOSH

You know, these cornices are one of the best example of Romanesque revival in the city.


GUSTAVO

Yeah, we tried to get them declared an historical landmark but we didn’t make the cut, and now we got thirty days to pack up and move out.


SABRINA

That’s terrible. Are a lot of young families like yours gonna be displaced by the parking lot?


GUSTAVO

Half the tenants are families with kids and the other half are seniors.


MRS SMILEY

Oh, I’ve been living here for fifty years. Married my husband right there on this stoop...lost him in the laundry room.


GUSTAVO

I don’t know how we’re all gonna find a place to live.


SABRINA

So, they’re not just knocking down a building, they’re destroying people's lives. Look, maybe it’s not over yet. You know, maybe this protest will really do some good.


MRS SMILEY

Oh, you’re an optimistic little fire-cracker, aren’t you?


GUSTAVO

We hoped the protest would attract some media attention, but, so far, none of the newspapers or TV stations have returned our calls.


SABRINA

Hey. I’m the media. I could write a piece for the Adams paper and then word would spread, and people would learn about your plight and the university wouldn’t dare throw you out on the street.


MRS SMILEY

Well, that’s very sweet of you. Now get your little hinnie out of my flower bed, you’re killing my petunias.


Sabrina steps out of the flowerbed she had been unknowingly standing in.


***


Zelda follows Chuck, the salesman from the car shack, into his office. They sit down opposite each other. Salem is perched in Zelda's handbag.


CHUCK

I had a feeling you’d be back. That car is just calling out your name.


ZELDA

I know, I just love...


SALEM (under his breath to Zelda)

No!


ZELDA

Cars. A...A subject I know quite a lot about.


CHUCK

I can see that. Well, like I told your husband, I can give it to you for eleven thou'.


ZELDA

Well, that seems like a very good price.


SALEM

Meow.


ZELDA

Argh, if I hadn’t noticed the excessive wear on the tires and the shoddy repair work to the fender. Why, I wouldn’t give you a penny over nine thousand.


CHUCK (chuckles)

You’re a pretty tough little negotiator. What say I throw in some brand new tires, shave off a few bucks for the fender and I give it to you for ten-five?


ZELDA

Well, that seems like a very reasonable compromise.


SALEM

Meow.


ZELDA

Oh, hush up, kitty. Where do I sign? (looks through her handbag for pen and gets bitten by Salem) Aw! (to Chuck) Would you excuse me for a moment?


Zelda takes Salem behind the wall.


ZELDA

What are you doing?


SALEM

Can’t you see? He’s ripping you off.


ZELDA

He seems like a perfectly honest man.


SALEM (sarcastic)

Yeah, and I don’t use your toothbrush to clean my ears.


ZELDA

Oh, that’s disgusting!


Back over the wall, Chuck sits carefully as he can when crashing and banging starts happening from behind. Zelda soon after walks out with her hair in a mess and looking in a state of a flurry.


ZELDA

I’m sorry, but I think I’m going to do a little comparison shopping.


Zelda walks off.


***


Sabrina is sitting at the table in her house typing away on her laptop. Josh is looking over her shoulder as Morgan comes down.


JOSH (to Sabrina)

I really love your angle. People before parking, it’s inspired.


MORGAN

Of course, no one ever stands up for the people who need parking.


JOSH

Hey.


MORGAN

Hi.


Morgan and Josh share a quick kiss.


SABRINA (to Josh)

You don’t think it’s too sentimental?


JOSH

Not at all. You know, I’ve gotta' say, I’m really impressed. Most people our age are too self-absorbed to get this involved. Not only do you really care, you put it in print.


MORGAN (slipping on her jacket)

As much as I also care about people I’ve never met, we have a seven-thirty dinner reservation.


JOSH (to Sabrina)

I wonder if this is why Ralph Nader stayed single?


MORGAN

Oh, one look at his suits would tell you why. Come on.


SABRINA

OK. Well, have fun, and don’t eat any endangered species.


JOSH

Hey, let me know if you need any help.


Josh is dragged away off the porch by Morgan. The door is shut.


SABRINA (commenting to herself as she types away again)

I don’t think I’m the one that needs the help.


***


Sabrina is standing beside Roxie in the hallway at Adam's.


SABRINA

Look, there’s Dean Pitchford. He’s the one in charge of the demolition of the Mayflower. (to Dean as he passes) Hi, Dean Pitchford.


DEAN

Yeah?


SABRINA

I’m Sabrina Spellman.


DEAN

Oh, yes, our resident instigator. Well, thanks to your article, I had a sleepless night fielding phone calls from parents and trustees.


SABRINA

Maybe you’d sleep better if you did what was right and kept those tenants in their homes. (he gives her a stern look) Or, you know, you could just screen your calls.


DEAN

Well, thanks, but I wont have to worry about my phone ringing any more. The board of trustees just had an emergency meeting and resolved the problem.


Dean walks off.


SABRINA

Oh, that’s great! Wait a minute, how exactly did you resolve it?


But Sabrina receives no answer from him.


***


Mrs Smiley is sweeping away at the stoop as Sabrina approaches her.


SABRINA

Hi, Mrs. Smiley, I’m so glad you’re here. I just saw the Dean and he said the board resolved this problem, but he didn’t say how?


MRS SMILEY

Well, apparently your article really put a fire under them.


SABRINA

That’s great! You must be so happy.


MRS SMILEY

Oh, we don’t have time to be happy. (passes Sabrina a letter) Now they say we have to be packed up and out of here by next week.


Sabrina looks up at Mrs Smiley with concern.


***


Sabrina is sitting on a couch at Hilda's Coffeehouse, beside Josh, who has his arms around her. Morgan enters from behind and watches with concern.


JOSH

Sabrina, stop beating yourself up about this. Nobody’s blaming you.


SABRINA

Yes, but if I hadn’t written that article...


JOSH

They were gonna be evicted anyway, just not quite this soon.


Morgan comes down.


MORGAN (to Sabrina)

Wow, somebody sure has a black cloud over her head.

Sabrina jumps up and starts hitting her hand above her head.


SABRINA

What? Oh, I can explain! Ah, it’s just a weird atmospheric convergence...(nothing is there)...there’s no cloud over my head!


MORGAN

No, it’s something we native English speakers call "just an expression".


JOSH

Sabrina’s upset because they’re evicting everyone at the Mayflower.


MORGAN

That’s...awful. And you worked so hard on your little article. I think that somebody needs to treat herself to a new pair of shoes. (pause) Seriously.


SABRINA

How could the Dean and the board of trustees hear about those people and still be so cold hearted?


JOSH

Most people don’t react to things like you and I do Sabrina.


MORGAN

That’s because, to the normal world, these people are just faceless strangers.


SABRINA

Well, maybe if they saw the faces of those tenants, they wouldn’t be so apathetic.


JOSH

Faces? (picks up his camera from the table) Of course! You just gave me an idea, Spellman.


***


Mrs Smiley gives a thumbs up. She is standing in front of Josh, who is about to take a photograph of her, at the Mayflower building.


MRS SMILEY

How’s this?


Josh takes the photo. Gustavo and his daughter walk up the stoop and look into the camera. Two of the daughters friends who live at number 2E smile brightly. An old guy holding a picture of his deceased wife. A young couple with their year old baby.


***


Miles comes out of his room with a pile of flyers and heads for the table, where Josh is standing beside Sabrina. Sabrina has the phone raised to her ear.


MILES

Hot off the laser printer. I also took the liberty of air-brushing Mrs. Smiley’s mole.


SABRINA

Oh, these photos are perfect. When people see these faces they’re going to know how important this cause is. (on the phone) Yeah, I’m still here. Great! All right. We’ll see you tomorrow at three. (hangs up) Alright! Channel six is coming to our protest. Wa-who!


JOSH

Great! That’s fantastic!


Sabrina and Josh share a quick hug. Morgan comes down anxiously.


MORGAN

I’m sorry, am I missing something?


SABRINA

Oh, great news. Tomorrow we are holding the biggest demonstration that has ever been held at Adams College and three news crews are coming.


JOSH

And a reporter from the Boston Globe.


Roxie enters through the front door with some large posters.


ROXIE

A dozen posters, ready to go. The guy a Kinko’s was so moved he gave me free collating for the rest of my life.


SABRINA

Wow. These are perfect. OK, we’ve still got a ton of things to organise. We’ve gotta plaster these up all over campus.


JOSH

Well, I can be in charge of that. (to Morgan) Do you wanna' help me, honey?


MORGAN

Josh, I hate to drop a reality bomb on this little do-gooder convention, but we have plans tonight. We’re going to the opening of that new club The Trocadero.


JOSH

Oh, man. I totally forgot.


SABRINA

Maybe you could plaster one of these up while you’re there.


MORGAN

Oh, no can do. The only place Josh’s hands are gonna be' are on me.


JOSH

I’m sorry, I’m going to have to cancel.


MORGAN

What? I bought a new dress. I told everybody that we’re coming and I pulled major strings to get us in.


JOH

Morgan, these people are about to lose their homes. I think that’s a little more important than seeing you and your friends dressed in Saran-Wrap. Yet again.


SABRINA (to Morgan)

Do you really wear Saran-Wrap?


MORGAN (turns to Sabrina)

It’s Pleather. (back to Josh) Josh, you can’t just dismiss me. We promised each other that if we had a disagreement we would, at least, discuss it.


JOSH

Well, your idea of discussing it means I change my mind.


MORGAN

And it’s been working so well for us.


JOSH

Well, it’s not working this time. I’m going with Sabrina.


MORGAN

Of course you are. Sabrina says jump and suddenly you’re slapping flyers all over a school you don’t even go to.


Morgan hurries upstairs.


MILES (to Roxie)

So, on a scale from one to ten, how uncomfortable do you feel right now?


ROXIE

Very comfortable. It feels just like home.


SABRINA (to Josh)

You know, I understand if you wanna' be with Morgan.


JOSH

No, no, no, I wanna' be with you...I mean here...working on this...with you.


Roxie and Sabrina exchange a look.


***


Salem is sitting on the table reading the car adds in the newspaper. Zelda sits beside him with her feet rested in a small bath and has an icepack held to her forehead.


ZELDA

I have had it! I have been to every used car lot on the eastern seaboard. If one more toupee wearing, polyester clad salesman calls me little lady.


SALEM

Your worries are over, little lady. I’ve come across a couple of beauties that I think will be perfect for you.


ZELDA (looking at the newspaper that Salem has pawed over)

A seventy-two Oldsmobile? Salem, that things a land yacht.


SALEM

Well, as you fade into your golden years you may find yourself spreading a little and you’ll want a nice bench seat.


ZELDA (standing)

This is ridiculous! I am going to get that little blue car we saw yesterday.


SALEM

Fine. Get the car, but since I’m the one maintaining it, at least let me look under the hood.


ZELDA

All right. But, for goodness sake, this time, could you try and be a little more discrete?


***


Back at the car sales yard. Salem is lying head first into the bonnet of the car and Zelda is standing beside him.


ZELDA

How does it look?


SALEM

The water pumps new but it looks like the cylinder head might be loose. (Chuck comes to Zelda's side) Wish I had a wrench.


CHUCK

Well, hello little lady. Have I got good news for you. Talked to my manager, he has agreed to your nine thousand dollar offer.


ZELDA

Oh, well, that’s wonderful. Let’s go sign the papers. (Chuck turns) I’ll be there in just a sec. (turns back to Salem) Salem, he’s gonna meet our price.


SALEM

U-oh. I'm stuck.


Chuck comes up behind Zelda again.


CHUCK

Is there a problem?


ZELDA

Um, no. It’s just...the...well, my cat is stuck. (gestures)


CHUCK

I can see that, but don’t you worry, we’ll take him out of there and if anything goes wrong, then we’ll just get you a new cat. Any colour you’d like.


***


Outside at the Mayflower building. A large student body is pacing around the entrance steps chanting PEOPLE BEFORE PARKING. Sabrina leads with a bullhorn.


PROTESTORS

People before parking! People before parking!


Roxie approaches Sabrina, wearing a chain.


ROXIE

Spellman, you rock! This is so much better than the genetically engineered corn rally. I just wanted to tell you.


SABRINA

Thanks. Coming from you that’s quite a compliment. What’s with the new jewellery?


ROXIE

It’s not really a protest unless I’ve chained myself to something. We all have our little traditions.


Roxie turns away and Miles comes over to Sabrina.


SABRINA

Hey, Miles. Have you seen Josh? He’s supposed to be corralling the news crews.


MILES

No, I haven’t, but I have made amazing discovery. Chicks dig social revolutionaries. (gesturing over at some girls) Down with the man!


The girls look "grossed-out". Josh walks over with a pocket TV.


JOSH

Sabrina, we’ve got problems.


SABRINA

Josh, what’s the matter? Where are the news crews?


JOSH

They’re all covering a breaking story. Apparently it’s the biggest thing since baby Jessica.


Josh holds out his pocket TV in his palm.


MINDY

Paramedics are standing by as fire fighters work tirelessly to free the terrified feline. We’ll keep you updated as this tragic situation unfolds. Meanwhile, let’s see if we can get a comment from the grief stricken owner.


The camera turns to Zelda, who is standing to the side.


ZELDA

Oh, really, he’s fine. (to the fireman beside her) So, you’re saying you can just throw me over your shoulder?


SABRINA

Gotta go. (hands Miles the bullhorn) Here.


***


Over at the car yard, Sabrina materializes in an array of sparks. She runs over to Zelda, who is being interviewed by Mindy.


ZELDA

Well, he’s truly like a member of the family.


MINDY

Sure.


SABRINA

Hey, Aunt Zelda. (takes Zelda aside) What are you doing? You’re totally down grading my coverage.


ZELDA

Well, I’m sorry, but I can’t use my magic with all these people watching.


SABRINA

I have an idea. Do you think you can keep everyone’s attention on you for a minute?


ZELDA (with a flick of her hair)

Well, that shouldn’t be a problem.


Zelda turns back to Mindy. Sabrina steps away and zaps herself into thin air...only to reappear on the interior of the car bonnet, a mini-Sabrina looking up at Salem's jammed head.


SABRINA

Salem, you’re ruining my protest.


SALEM

Yeah. Like I planned on waving my butt on national television.


SABRINA

Can’t you just suck it in a little?


SALEM

I am! I’ve gotta cut back on the Nachos. On the plus side, I'm now a celebrity.


SABRINA

No, your butt's a celebrity.


SALEM

Not the first time.


FIREMAN (V/O)

It think we’re gonna' have to get the jaws of life This might take a couple of hours.


SABRINA

I don’t have a couple of hours!


Sabrina zaps Salem out with her magic. He goes flying into Zelda's arms. Mindy rushes over.


MINDY

Oh! Is he all right? Are there any missing limbs?


ZELDA

Oh, he’s fine. No harm done. (to Salem) Until we get home.


MINDY

Cut. Let’s pack it in.

Mindy and her crew walk off and Sabrina goes to them.


SABRINA

Hey, did you know the students are storming the administration building over at Adams?


MINDY

No. It’s not a cat stuck in an engine block but...it’s better than nothing. Let’s go. Let’s role.


Mindy and her crew follow Sabrina off as Chuck approaches Zelda and Salem.


ZELDA

So, should we go sign the papers?


CHUCK

Absolutely. There’s one slight problem. Your cat seems to have done some damage while he was stuck in there. I would say two thousand dollars worth.


ZELDA

So, we’re back to the original asking price?


CHUCK

Right you are, little lady.


ZELDA

Well, in that case, I’d like to trade in my cat. Do you have a ninety-seven calico with low mileage?


***


Mindy has just arrived at the protest outside Mayflower. The students chant PEOPLE BEFORE PARKING in the background while she speaks to the camera.


MINDY

We're reporting live, from Adams College, where administrators are planning on turning fifty residents of the Mayflower Apartments out onto the cold streets of Boston.


Dean Pitchford comes out from the entrance door and holds his hands up.


DEAN

Excuse me! Can I have your attention! People, please! Can I please have your attention!


SABRINA (with a bullhorn)

Quiet down! Let the man speak.


DEAN

After careful consideration of the plight of the Mayflower residents, which was fortunately brought to our attention...(shoots a dirty look at Sabrina), Adams College is prepared to compensate the tenants by providing housing in the Candour Arms. A new residential community on the other side of the campus.


SABRINA

You call that compensation? How can you insult these people by asking them to move from their beloved homes into pre-fab cardboard boxes?


PROTESTORS

Yeah! Yeah!


MRS SMILEY (to Dean)

Do these pre-fab cardboard boxes have washers and dryers in each unit?


DEAN

Yes.


GUSTAVO

And dishwashers?


DEAN

Yes, sir.


SABRINA

How are appliances supposed to compare to a lifetime of memories?


MRS SMILEY

Compared to my memories they win hands down. When do we move?


DEAN

That’s the spirit.


***


After the protesting crowd has cleared off, and Roxie has been unchained by some police officers, Josh and Sabrina are sitting beside each other alone. Sabrina is ripping up the final flyers.


JOSH

Oh, what’s the matter? Post protest blues?


SABRINA

I guess. You know, the university is still gonna' tear down that building. I just feel like we settled.


JOSH

Sabrina, this wasn’t about a building, it was about people. You said so yourself, and they’re happy. I don’t think they feel like they’re settling. You did a good thing.


SABRINA

You really think so?


JOSH

Yeah, I do. (puts an arm on Sabrina's shoulder) You’re pretty amazing. (pause) Sabrina...


Mrs Smiley walks over before Josh can finish.


MRS SMILEY

Sabrina, I just wanna' tell you how wonderful this all is. Thanks to you and your boyfriend, I get a new home.


SABRINA

Oh, well I’m glad it all worked out, and he’s not my boyfriend. He already has a girlfriend.


JOSH

Actually, not any more. Morgan and I broke up this morning.


SABRINA (shocked yet surprised)

What? Really? Oh, Josh, I’m so sorry.


MRS SMILEY

No she’s not. (winks)


***


Morgan is sitting beside Sabrina on the couch in their house.


MORGAN

It’s really over this time, he had his mind made up. Nothing that I was gonna' say or wear was gonna' change it.


SABRINA

I’m sorry, Morgan. I know how much you cared about him.


MORGAN

I did. But, in the end I guess I was just too much woman for him. You know I really think that he would rather be with someone like you.


SABRINA

Really? Did he...did he say that? I mean, did he actually mention me by name?


MORGAN

I didn’t say you, I said someone like you.


SABRINA

Oh...right.


MORGAN (heading for the door)

Oh, I just...I don’t know what I’m gonna' do, Sabrina. I just feel so depressed.


SABRINA (following)

All I can say is, you’ve gotta' get out of yourself. You know, you’ve gotta' focus all your energies on something positive.


There is a ring from the doorbell.


MORGAN

That’s excellent advice, but I think I’ll just stay with my own tried and true method. (she answers the door when the bell rings for a second time and a cute guy stands on the porch) Hi, Dave. I’m all ready. (to Sabrina) Bye.


Morgan walks off with her date.


SABRINA

Now, why didn’t I think of that?


***


END CREDITS


***


Based on characters appearing in ARCHIE COMICS


Episode originally written by Dan Berendsen