Thursday, December 17, 2009

5x16 - Sabrina, the Muse

Kevin and Sabrina are sitting opposite each other at the coffeehouse listening to a country banjo player.


BANJO PLAYER

# Where do you come from? Where do you go?
Where do you come from Cotton Eyed Joe?


KEVIN (to Sabrina)

Have I told you lately how much I like you?


SABRINA

No. But, you know, sitting through He-haw Henry just to hang out with me at work pretty much says it all.


BANJO PLAYER

--- Cotton Eyed Joe?


Roxie walks over.


ROXIE

Just my luck, the one week I fill in and your aunt hires the guy from Deliverance.


HILDA (approaching)

I don’t understand, his résumé said he had two Grammy’s.


ROXIE

But what it didn’t say was that they were married to his two grandpappy's.


BANJO PLAYER (indistinct singing)

Cotton Eyed Joe... ??


His country singing is driving the customers away.


HILDA

What are we gonna' do? He’s driving customers out.


SABRINA (standing)

Well at least they can escape. Think about the poor banjo being held hostage.


ROXIE (walks off)

We’re the ones being held hostage.


HILDA

The girls got a point. Luckily, so do I. (she zaps a string broken on the banjo player's instrument, and shoves him inside) Sorry, folks, it looks like trudging out into this horrible rain has caused Jethro to come down with laryngitis.


SABRINA

Hey, Kevin, why don’t you get up there and sing?


KEVIN

Me? No, I...I don’t have anything rehearsed.


SABRINA

Well, you didn’t rehearse for that party Thursday night and you rocked.


HILDA (pushing the banjo player out)

No, no, no, you need to get home and rest that voice. (as he is gone) Better yet, lay that voice to rest.


SABRINA

Hey, Aunt Hilda, Kevin wants to sing.


HILDA

Oh, fantastic. (to Kevin) Go right on.


KEVIN

I would, but I don’t have my guitar.


SABRINA

You’re in luck, look. (she zaps a guitar in the corner behind him) Somebody left their guitar.


KEVIN

Oh.


Sabrina gives him the guitar and takes the microphone.


SABRINA

Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for an incredibly gifted young performer, Kevin.


Kevin takes the seat and the crowd give a round of applause. Sabrina steps over to Hilda.


HILDA

So, are you serious about him?


SABRINA

Oh, that all depends.


HILDA

On what?


SABRINA

On how serious he is about me.


KEVIN (at the microphone)

Argh, this is a little song I’ve been working on and, um, it goes something like this. (he starts playing and singing):
I used to be happy just playing rock and roll.
Chicks were alright to unwrap my soul.
But if it’s meant to be, I guess it’s meant to be.
You can imagine what, what Sabrina means to me.


HILDA (to Sabrina)

Does that answer your question?


SABRINA

I think so.


Sabrina looks up, with a warmed smile on her face.


***


OPENING CREDITS


***


Sabrina and Kevin are lip-locking on the porch outside Sabrina's house.


KEVIN (on releasing)

Sabrina, you’re incredible, I feel such a deep connection with you. It’s hard to put in words.


SABRINA

Well, you did a pretty good job in your song tonight. It was amazing.


KEVIN

Yeah, well I can think of something that’s even more amazing.


He reaches down to kiss her.


SABRINA

OK, but this is positively, definitely the last one.


They kiss again. She breaks free, after a moment or two, and runs inside. Roxie and Morgan have been peering through the window in the kitchen. As Sabrina enters they get down.


SABRINA

Oh, you guys were spying on me, weren’t you?


ROXIE

I hate to break it to you Spellman, but your life isn’t that interesting.


MORGAN

Yeah, Roxie’s right. I mean, just because Kevin thinks you’re incredible doesn’t mean that we do.


ROXIE (to Morgan)

If only you could lie as well as you accessorize.


SABRINA

Are you guys taking notes? And why are you so worked up about this?


MORGAN

Well, for one thing, a guy never wrote a song about me.


ROXIE

A guy wrote a song about me once. But he used all four letter words.


SABRINA

Look, I like Kevin a lot, but I don’t wanna' get too excited. There’s nothing worse than getting your hopes built up just to have them come crashing down around you.


MORGAN

Oh, I am with you. I don’t know how many times I was in the perfect relationship. Then, out of the blue, the guy dumped me because he found out I was dating his roommate. A girl has to protect herself.


ROXIE

You’d better hope those looks never fade.


SABRINA

I guess what I’m saying is I just wanna' take it slow.


ROXIE

Sounds like a plan to me. So, when are you gonna see him next?


SABRINA

Every night this week.


Sabrina walks off down the hallway.


***


Hilda comes in through the front door into hers and Zelda's house. Zelda is sitting on the couch, desperately upset, surrounded by tissues. Hilda doesn't notice at first.


HILDA

Sabrina and Kevin make such an adorable couple. I’ve never seen her this happy. (walks over after taking her coat off) Our little niece may be walking down the isle before we do. (Hilda sits and notices Zelda's mood) Oh, it is sad, isn’t it? What if she has kids before we do?


ZELDA (crying)

Larry Linterman died.


HILDA

But Larry was in the prime of his life. We were just at his four hundredth birthday party!


Salem comes down the stairs and jumps onto the back of the couch.


SALEM

I just...I just heard the news about Larry. Why? Why?


ZELDA

I didn’t know you were so close.


SALEM (as if finishing his statement)

Why didn’t he make out a will? I sucked up to that dunderhead for twenty years. And for what? So the Other Realm government could come in and pocket what’s rightfully mine.


ZELDA (stands and paces)

You know, Hilda, Salem makes a good point.


HILDA

Sucking up to people is a waste?


ZELDA

No. The two of us should have a will.


HILDA

We’ve got plenty of time for that, we’re young!


SALEM

Compared to what, the Dead Seas scrolls?


Zelda sits down beside Hilda.


ZELDA

All I’m saying, Hilda, is you never know. Look at Larry.


HILDA

Well that was different. Larry was...


ZELDA (interrupting)

In great shape.


HILDA

Yes, but he didn’t...


ZELDA (interrupting again)

Smoke, drink or eat fatty foods.


HILDA

Did he exercise?


ZELDA

Seven days a week.


HILDA

Well, there you go. We don’t exercise, so we don’t have to worry.


ZELDA

Hilda, I know we’re all hoping to live long lives, but eventually we will...


Hilda stands up and goes to the piano, putting her finger in her ear to block out Zelda's finishing sentence.


HILDA

Oh, no. Don’t go there!


ZELDA (running to Hilda's side)

Look, I know it’s not a pleasant topic but...(removes one of Hilda's fingers)...we need to make sure our loved ones are adequately...(Hilda puts her finger back in)...taken care of after we...


SALEM (cutting Zelda short)

Keel over, buy the farm, take a dirt nap, kick the...


ZELDA

Salem!


***


Sabrina is at the table in her house on her laptop. Kevin walks over from the lounge room with his guitar, singing.


KEVIN (approaching Sabrina)

# Then I realised I’d found my rainbow in her eyes.


SABRINA

Wow, that was fantastic.


KEVIN

I’m glad you liked it.


SABRINA

I can’t believe you wrote a whole song and I’m still struggling over line one of my newspaper article.


KEVIN

Well, it’s pretty easy to write when you have someone beautiful to inspire you. (brings Sabrina up by the hand) Sabrina, you’re my muse.


They both kiss.


SABRINA

Wow, I’ve never been anyone’s muse before. Is there, like, a special outfit I have to wear or something?


KEVIN

You know, it’s funny, before I met you it’s like I would go on these dry spells, I couldn’t write a word and now, it’s like, the music just floats into my head.


SABRINA

Oh, well, you’re not the only one floating. (the doorbell rings; Sabrina opens the door and Hilda and Zelda come in after each other) Aunt Hilda? Aunt Zelda? What are you doing here?


ZELDA

We’ve come to discus our impending death.


SABRINA (taken by surprise)

Oh, my God! Are you guys sick?


ZELDA

No.


HILDA

But we could be. We could drop at any minute.


ZELDA (annoyed sigh; turns to Kevin)

You must be Kevin. (shakes hands with Kevin) I’m Sabrina’s Aunt Zelda. You’ll have to forgive my sister, she gets a little nervous when it comes to discussing...(lips "death")


HILDA

Why are you whispering? Do you know something I don’t know? I have scurvy don’t I? Oh, somebody, quick, toss me an orange! (turns away)


ZELDA

Hilda, calm down, you’re fine. (turning to Sabrina) We’re both fine. We just feel it’s time to get our affairs in order.


SABRINA

Well, I don’t wanna' think about anything bad happening to you guys.


ZELDA

Of course not, dear, but we all have to think about the inevitable.


KEVIN

Look, I think I should leave you guys alone. (to Sabrina) I’ll call you later.


After giving Sabrina a quick kiss, he walks out. Zelda and Hilda exchange a glance.


ZELDA (taking Sabrina by arm to the lounge)

Well. He seems like a very nice man.


HILDA (following behind)

Yes, I’m sure he’ll be very comforting when Zelda and I meet our maker in a rare New England earthquake. (they are all seated on the couch by now)


ZELDA

Oh, Hilda, that’s enough. (to Sabrina) Dear, as I was saying, certain provisions must be made in case Hilda or I (lips the word "die")


HILDA

Again with the whispering!


ZELDA

I would prefer to be cremated, and I would like my ashes spread across Orion's belt...or thereabouts.


HILDA

And I wanna' stay on the ventilator as long as possible. I’m serious, if you pull the plug, I’ll know.


SABRINA

That’s so morbid. (standing) You know, before you guys showed up I was in the best mood of my life. Kevin told me I’m his muse.


ZELDA (she and Hilda stand by Sabrina)

Oh, that’s great honey. Now, your Aunt Hilda would prefer a more traditional burial, which means, you’re going to need a good embalmer.


HILDA

Oh, and when the deadly tsetse fly comes to claim us (hands Sabrina a map), here’s a treasure map of where I buried our money in the back yard. It’s in gold doubloons.


ZELDA (looking at the map)

Hilda, I thought I told you to make a copy first.


HILDA

Fine. (zaps a photocopy machine in the room before them) It’ll be ready tomorrow after four.


***


Sabrina, Roxie and Morgan are walking along beside each other in the corridors at Adams'.


MORGAN

Kevin called you his muse? That is like the highest compliment that a guy can give you.


ROXIE

Call me crazy, but I'd prefer "intellectual peer".


MORGAN

I’ve never heard that one before. (Sabrina and Roxie exchange a smile) Sabrina, being someone’s muse is such an honour.


SABRINA

Yeah, you’re right. I mean, I could be the next, like..."Layla" or "Mandy"


ROXIE

Or, "Bad Bad Leroy Brown." Personally, I’d hate being someone’s muse. I’d always feel obligated to say interesting stuff.


MORGAN

Oh, I don’t think you need to worry.


Morgan grins and walks off. Roxie soon after follows with a deathly glare. Kevin comes over to Sabrina.


KEVIN

Hey, Sabrina.


SABRINA

Hey. (she and Kevin share a kiss)


KEVIN

So, what’s going on with my muse today?


SABRINA

Oh, argh, you know, bunch of interesting stuff. Um...I woke up...I...I got out of bed.


KEVIN

Dragged a comb across your head?


SABRINA

No, but I showered and I shaved my legs. And then I tried to find some matching socks. Do you wanna' write some of this down?


***


Zelda comes in from the kitchen, calling upstairs for Hilda.



ZELDA

Hilda, come on! We’ve only got fifteen minutes to get to the estate planner and it’s raining like mad. Hilda! Hilda?


Zelda turns away upstairs, and Hilda creeps out from the closet she has been hiding out in. As she goes for the door, she grabs up an umbrella but it makes a noise and attracts Zelda's attention.


ZELDA

Where do you think you’re going?


Zelda comes back down. Hilda pops open her umbrella.


HILDA

Oh. Would you believe I have a date with Gene Kelly? (pause) I didn’t think so. (Hilda goes to walk out through the front door, Zelda prevents it with a zap of her finger) Look. I’m sorry, I thought I could go through with this, but I can’t. I really can’t!


ZELDA

Hilda, get a grip. We’re only making out these wills as a precautionary measure. You can’t live your life in fear.


HILDA

It’s been working for me so far. Aren’t you afraid? Don’t you wonder what’s next? Is this the last chance we get, or is there a hereafter?


ZELDA

There’s only one way to find out.


***


Hilda and Zelda are standing on a bank before a river in a nightly glow. They are being hauled onto the boat by a man in a black coat.


CHARON

Last call for the Hereafter! (he steps onto the boat, full of older people) All aboard for the river Styx!


HILDA

OK, we saw it. Let’s go.


Hilda goes to escape, but Zelda pulls her back.


ZELDA

Hilda! This is not the Hereafter, this is just the boat ride over.


HILDA

Have fun, I’ll be in the Admirals Club throwing back some zombies.


Zelda drags her back again.


ZELDA

Come on, now, you said you wanted to know what it’s like and we’re gonna' find out. Come on.


Zelda takes Hilda down onto the boat.


HILDA (reluctant)

Okay. (to passing passengers as she sits) Hello. Hi. (laughs; to Zelda; they are now seated) Oh, we are definitely going to be the life of this party.


***


At the coffeehouse, Sabrina goes and sits beside Kevin, holding a coffee mug. Kevin is sitting with the tip of his pen on his notepad.


SABRINA

Hey, how’s it going?


KEVIN

Not so great. I’m having writers block. For some reason I just don’t feel inspired.


SABRINA (offering the mug)

Well, maybe I can inspire you with a hot vanilla latte?


KEVIN

Oh, no thanks. When I hit these dry spells caffeine just disrupts my concentration.


Sabrina hands the coffee mug to a waiter going by.


SABRINA

Oh, and as your muse, I should have known that. Um...so, oh guess what? I found my missing sock, and it’s a really interesting story. You’ll never guess where it turned up. My closet, of all places. (laughs)


They overhear two girls walking behind them.


GIRL

I find the rain is rejuvenating.


KEVIN

Wow, that is awesome.


SABRINA

Yeah, you know, matching socks are great.


KEVIN

No, no, no, what that girl just said about the rain being rejuvenating. That’s perfect for a song. (begins writing)


SABRINA

I guess, but, you know, I still like a good missing sock song myself.


KEVIN (reading out what he has written)

‘Rejuvenating rain helps ease the pain.’


SABRINA

But what really rocks are my missing socks. (she walks away to the counter and speaks to herself) I am so bombing out as a muse!


***


Sabrina walks into her house not looking her normal self. Morgan comes running to her side.


MORGAN

Sabrina, I’m so glad you’re home. I need your advice on how to be a good muse.


SABRINA

Oh, well, if you figure it out, let me know. (walks into the kitchen)


MORGAN (following Sabrina)

Josh said that I didn’t inspire any of his photographs. Not even the ones of me! So, come on. Share your secret.


SABRINA

I’d love to help you, but I can’t. I seem to have lost my touch.


MORGAN

Yeah, right. I am on to you. You just don’t wanna' give away your secret so you can be the only one in the house who inspires men. Well, let me tell you something, Missy, I have got a dress upstairs in my closet that is gonna blow you out of the water!


Morgan runs off upstairs. Salem is at the windowsill with papers before him.


SALEM

Meow! I love a good cat fight. (as Sabrina turns to him) Sabrina, let’s talk estate planning. Here’s my proposal for dividing up our aunties assets.


SABRINA

Our aunties?


SALEM

I get the car, the house, the timeshare on Neptune and you, you lucky devil, get that, one of a kind spider clock.


SABRINA

Salem, I don’t wanna' talk about this. I hope my aunts live forever and I don’t care what I get.


SALEM

I already took the liberty of assuming that. Sign here, sis.


SABRINA

You know Salem, I’ve got bigger problems than this, OK. (turns away) I’ve got to figure out how to be a good muse or Kevin’s gonna dump me for some girl who’s more naturally interesting than I am.


SALEM

I can’t help you there. The only thing I ever inspired was mandatory spaying. (pause) Why don’t you ask a real muse?


SABRINA

Why didn’t I think of that? (steps out of the kitchen and incants) Muses come quickly, I need to learn the art of inspiring before my roommates return.


Sabrina zaps her finger, and before her four ladies from an ancient time appear. They simply wear togas. Sabrina takes a sigh.


***


Meanwhile, Hilda and Zelda have just docked at the Hereafter. It is now sunny.



CHARON (as he guides passengers)

Please, watch you step. Or not, it doesn’t really matter now.


HILDA (to Charon)

OK, I’m warning you. If you’re even one minute late picking us up...


CHARON

What? You’ll kill me? Too late.


He walks off, laughing. Hilda and Zelda walk down from the platform and are greeted by an elder woman.


DORA

Oh, hi darlings! Welcome to Sunshine Lakes. (handing them a clipboard) Now, be sure to sign in and take a ticket. This year we’re raffling off stretch pants and a whole years supply of Peds.


ZELDA

I’m Zelda, and this is my sister Hilda.


DORA

Oh, yeah, you’re here on the day pass.


HILDA

Could you please not use the word "pass"?


ZELDA

Sorry. My sister gets a little uptight when it come to the subject of...


DORA (cutting Zelda short)

Death?


HILDA

I’m out of here!


Hilda goes to turn away, but Zelda brings her back.


DORA

Well, yes, of course she’s uptight. When you’re on the other side people see death as an ending, but here, on Sunshine Lakes, it’s a whole new beginning. You’re gonna love it. (hands them a brochure and sits down at the table) Every night we have a picture show at the Jackie Gleason auditorium. A little tip, bring a cushion for your tushy.


HILDA (looking at the brochure)

Oh, look! They’re showing the directors cut of Rooster Cogburn. I love the Duke.


DORA

Oh, good, 'cause you’re sitting next to him at lunch. (Hilda looks excited) Oh, and the food is all you can eat, twenty-four hours day and night. Oh, and no matter how much you eat, you never gain weight.


HILDA

Hello heaven.


ZELDA

And I’m sure you have fabulous classical music concerts.


DORA

No, but you’re gonna' adore the Mini Pearl clubhouse where we have everything from square dancing to bingo.


HILDA

I love bingo.


DORA

Who doesn’t?


ZELDA

What’s to love? There’s no strategy, you just sit there mindlessly waiting for someone to call out a number. But you must have some really intellectually stimulating lectures, what, with Descartes and Socrates on the premises?


DORA

Actually, Descartes and Socrates gave up lecturing for shuffleboard. They love just relaxing after all that serious thinking on the other side, and you should see their apartment. It’s gorgeous!


ZELDA

Doesn’t anybody use their brains around here?


DORA

What for? We’re dead?


HILDA (a broad grin on her face)

Now, this is what I call living.


***


Sabrina is sitting on the couch surrounded by the group of muses' she zapped in.


CALLIOPE

So, basically, if you want to be a good muse, like I was to Beethoven, all you have to do is focus all your energy on the artist.


EUTERPE

Sit with him, talk to him.


SABRINA

But, what if I run out of interesting things to say?


ERATO

Then you compensate for that by catering to his interests.


CLIP

Praise him, build up his ego, anticipate his every need.


SABRINA

And you really think that’ll help inspire a guy to produce his greatest work?


CALLIOPE

Ever hear of a little ditty called Beethoven’s Fifth?


A dramatic piano key sounds in the background.


***


Sabrina walks and answers the front door at her aunt's house when the doorbell rings. It is Kevin.


KEVIN

Hi.


SABRINA

Hi.


KEVIN

Wow, thanks for inviting me over.


They both walk into the lounge room.


SABRINA

Yeah, well, you said you needed a quiet place to work on your music and I figured my aunt's were gonna be gone all night, so it’s the perfect place.


KEVIN

You’re the best, do you know that? Always thinking about me.


SABRINA

Well, that’s the muse's job, right? Alright, well, you go ahead and play away, and I’m just gonna be typing up my article for the school paper.


Sabrina sits down with her laptop on the opposite couch to him.


KEVIN

OK. (pause) Oh, I’m sorry, Sabrina, could I bother you for a glass of water?


SABRINA (standing)

You know what? I’m the one that’s sorry, I mean, as your muse I should have anticipated your needs. Water coming right up or, you know, I could make you an iced tea?


KEVIN

No, don’t go to any trouble. (calling Sabrina back) But, you know, I wouldn’t turn down a half iced tea, half lemonade, with a twist of lime, with just a splash of cranberry cooler. For some reason it just helps to get the creative juices flowing (indistinct laughing)


SABRINA

And what kind of a muse would I be if I couldn’t help you do that? (walks off)


***


A little while has passed. Kevin is pacing around the room with his guitar. Sabrina is on the couch still, with her laptop.


SABRINA (as she types her article)

Therefore, it is my humble opinion that...wait a minute. Is it my humble opinion, or just my opinion? And am I being arrogant if I call myself humble?


KEVIN

Hey, Sabrina, which one of these intro’s do you like better? Listen to this. (plays a sample of one) Or: (plays another sample for her)


SABRINA

They’re both great.


KEVIN

I think I’m going to go with the second one. Yeah. (turns back away with a magazine)


SABRINA

OK. (reading her article out loud) And therefore, it is with strong feeling that...oh, what was I trying to say? Why is it such a struggle for me to write these articles? (standing) You know, I wish writing came as easy to me as music does for you. Maybe I’m not cut out to be a journalism major. Maybe I should switch. Do you think I should switch?


KEVIN (still looking at his magazine)

Hmm?


SABRINA

Do you think I should switch my major?


KEVIN

Aargh, I don’t know. Is there anything you like more than the major you already have now?


SABRINA

Well, I do like journalism.


KEVIN (clearly distracted)

There you go! Switch to that.


SABRINA

That is my major.


KEVIN

Oh. (closes magazine and faces her) Are you sure?


SABRINA (taking a step closer)

Yeah, I am. Kevin, who’s my favourite author?


KEVIN

Aarghh...K. D. Sallenger?


SABRINA

It’s J. D. Sallenger, and no, he’s not my favourite author. It’s Jane Austin. I talked about it for an hour on the phone last night, didn’t you listen to anything I said?


KEVIN

Yeah, of course I did. You told me how much you love my songs.


SABRINA

And anything about me you just tuned out?


KEVIN

Argh, no. How can you say that? Half the music I wrote was inspired by you.


SABRINA

That’s my point. You’re only interested in me if I’m helping you. Anything I say that’s not song material goes in one ear and out the other.


KEVIN

That’s not true!


SABRINA

You know, Kevin, I really don’t wanna' be in a one way relationship and I really don’t wanna' be anybody’s muse.


Sabrina turns for the door.


KEVIN

Sabrina, wait!


SABRINA

No, I am so out of here.


KEVIN (following her to the door)

No! Listen...I...D...D...but..


Sabrina shuts the door in his face and walks off. He looks about, just as she steps back in.


SABRINA

Wait a minute, this is my aunt's house.


KEVIN

Yeah.


She gestures at the door, and grabbing his coat, he takes the hint and leaves.


SABRINA

And I don’t wanna' hear about this in any song.


Sabrina closes the door as he leaves.


***


Hilda and Zelda are the only two remaining on the boat as it docks on the bank. Hilda steps out.


HILDA (to Charon)

I did it! I stared death right in the face and I had the time of my life! I also beat Descartes at shuffle-board and I dirty-danced with Fred Mertz.


CHARON

Whatever floats your boat. (walks off)


Zelda steps out and stands beside Hilda.


HILDA (embracing Zelda)

And now, because of you, I realize that death is nothing to be afraid of. It’s just one big bash full of casinos, canasta and kugel.


Hilda gives Zelda an excited squeeze and turns away.


***


At the coffeehouse, Josh walks past Morgan, who is sitting at a table by herself.


MORGAN

Josh, I’ve been waiting here all morning. Hasn’t anything that I have said or done inspired you?


JOSH

Yeah, you just inspired me to make the best latte of my entire coffee career.


Josh walks off.


MORGAN (standing and gliding away)

Everybody hear that? I am not just beautiful and smart, I’m a muse! Look at me. I am a muse.


Hilda walks in, a little cheerful.


HILDA

Hello, people! What a glorious day. You can already smell spring in the air.


Roxie is standing beside Sabrina behind the couch.


ROXIE (to Sabrina)

Your aunt scares me when she’s this happy.


HILDA (approaching)

Roxie, you did a fantastic job filling in this week. (passes Roxie an envelope) Here’s a bonus, as a token of appreciation.


ROXIE (taking out the money)

On the other hand, it’s kind of appealing.


Roxie walks out with a broad smile on her face. Sabrina follows Hilda to the counter.


SABRINA

Well, you’re sure in a good mood today.


HILDA

And why shouldn’t I be? I love life, I love death. Like you kids say, it’s all good.


SABRINA

Oh, we’ve been saying that all morning.


HILDA

But why am I talking to you about death? You’re young, alive and in love.


SABRINA

Well, you got the first part right. Turns out Kevin was a little too self absorbed.


HILDA

I’m sorry, honey. Oh, by the way, when I die and you stick me in the casket, make sure I’m wearing comfortable shoes.


Hilda walks off to the back room. Kevin walks in and approaches Sabrina as she picks up the coffee pot.


KEVIN

Anybody know a place that makes a good vanilla latte?


SABRINA

Kevin?


KEVIN (following Sabrina)

Sabrina, look, I...I know you’re upset, and you probably don’t wanna' give me a second chance, but...


SABRINA

But what?


KEVIN

Well, I read your article on college arts funding. It was terrific.


SABRINA

That’s nice, but, you know, reading one article isn’t gonna fix everything.


KEVIN

Yeah, well I read all your articles. Argh, argh...sororities, animal testing, and they closed the library before I could finish the one on the gas leaf-blowers.


SABRINA

Oh, I had the flu when I wrote that one.


KEVIN

What I’m trying to say is, if you change your major, journalism will be losing one heck of a writer.


SABRINA (going to the counter)

You’re not just saying that because you wanna' get back together?


Kevin follows after Sabrina.


KEVIN

Look, I know I really blew this relationship, and...and if you don’t wanna' give me a second chance, I totally understand. It’s just...well, you really mean a lot to me, and, well...


Kevin hands Sabrina an old book from his pocket.


SABRINA

Wow, Pride and Prejudice? You bought this for me?


KEVIN (joking)

No, I swiped it from the library. (laughs) I’m kidding.


SABRINA

Thanks. It means a lot to me that you remembered.


KEVIN

Listen, do you wanna' go someplace after your shift is over?


SABRINA

I’d like that.


Hilda has been listening in on the whole conversation. She steps forward.


HILDA

I bet you’d like it even better if you left now.


SABRINA

Well, wouldn't you be short handed?


HILDA

I’ll live...and if not, the alternative's not bad either.


SABRINA

Are you sure?


HILDA

Absolutely. Seize the day, Sabrina, life’s short. If you're lucky.


Smiling, Sabrina and Kevin walk out.


***


Salem is digging around in the backyard that night, at Hilda and Zelda's house. Hilda and Zelda themselves come out through the back door, and Zelda gestures with her finger for Hilda to remain silent.


SALEM

Oh, I can’t believe those dumb broads just left a treasure map lying around the kitchen. (laughs) I expect it from Hilda, but a quantum physicist? There’s over five-hundred thousand dollars of gold buried in this turf! (as he feels something)

Oh, lord have mercy, I’ve hit the mother lode! Thanks to the hags I’ll be able to blow this pop-stand one filthy rich cat. (he opens the box and is sprayed by booby-trap smoke, he whimpers)


ZELDA (to Hilda)

Well, he was right about the filthy part.


***


END CREDITS


***


Based on characters appearing in ARCHIE COMICS


Episode originally written by Suzanne Gangursky