Thursday, December 3, 2009

5x14 - Making The Grade

Hilda is at the door at the coffeehouse, trying to get rid of her final two customers for the night. Sabrina is wiping down some tables.


HILDA

Well, thanks for coming, and tell you’re friends they’re welcome to come and discus their husbands, their boyfriends and their husband's boyfriends.


SABRINA

What is it about coffee that makes people want to spill their guts?


HILDA

I don’t know, but those guts are gonna buy me an outside cabin on a Caribbean cruise.


SABRINA

OK, this little beverage adventure of yours does seem to be paying off.


HILDA

Yes, it does. This month I might actually turn my first profit.


SABRINA

Wa-who! I mean, ka-ching!


HILDA

I just wish I didn’t have to wait until the end of the month to see if I made a profit. Wait a minute, I don’t. I’ll just call in my profit prophet, Harvey.


She zaps in front of them a person dressed in a bunny costume.


SABRINA

Your profit prophet is a big bunny?


HILDA

Oops, wrong Harvey. (she zaps the bunny away, and Harvey, Sabrina's ex-boyfriend, appears) Really wrong Harvey.


SABRINA

Hi, Harvey. How you doing? (approaching) You know, I’ve been thinking about you a lot recently and...


HILDA

No time for chit-chat! (she zaps Harvey away and an old, bearded man appears) Finally! Sabrina, meet Harvey, the profit prophet.


SABRINA

Hi, nice staff.


HARVEY

Yes, the lady's seem to like it.


HILDA

So, Harvey, is Hilda’s gonna be showered with shekels by the thirtieth?


HARVEY

Let’s have a look see. (closes his eyes and puts his hands against his temples) Nothing is coming. (holds out his palm)


HILDA

You mean, nothing’s coming for free. (slaps some money on Harvey's palm)


SABRINA

Oh, so I guess he’s not a non-profit prophet.


HILDA

So, what’s the deal? Am I gonna' make money or not?


HARVEY

Not if you keep piddling it away like this. (laughs)


Hilda zaps Harvey away again.


HILDA

Next time, I go with Isaiah


***


OPENING CREDITS


***


Roxie comes out of a class with a college jock, Ryan. They start walking together.


ROXIE

I can’t believe this. I’ve already got a ton of homework, how am I supposed to write a five page essay on Hamlet’s speech as a window to his madness? What about the window to my madness?


RYAN

I’m swamped too. I have to write a paper on Picasso, then study for my exams on organic chemistry and comparative religions.


ROXIE

How do you do all this and fit in baseball practice every night?


RYAN

I’ve learned to multi-task. I’m on my way to the batting cages and I’m bringing my audio version of the Koran. See you. (turns away)


ROXIE

Later.


Sabrina joins Roxie.


SABRINA

Hey, how’s it going?


ROXIE

About as well as a nervous breakdown 101 can go.


SABRINA (examining Roxie's hand)

Well you haven’t bitten your nails down to the cuticle yet, that’s a good sign.


ROXIE

Like I didn’t have enough studying already, now I’ve gotta write an essay on Hamlet. This school is killing me. They expect me to go to class all day, study all night and get straight A's.


SABRINA

You don’t need straight A's.


ROXIE

After last semester's grades I do, or else I’ll lose my scholarship.


SABRINA

Wow, that’s rough. I don’t even have a scholarship hanging over my head and I’m already stressed out enough. My statistics class is killing me. Here comes my professor, he’s a complete tyrant.


Sabrina's teacher, Professor Dillard, stops on his way past Sabrina.


PROFESSOR DILLARD

Congratulations Sabrina, you aced another data analysis test. You’ve got a true gift for numbers. (turns away)


Sabrina smirks, but then scowls when Roxie looks back at her.


SABRINA

Do you see what I mean? What a jerk.


***


Zelda and Hilda are sat together on a couch in their living room. Salem is on the opposite couch. Hilda is showing off her tax books to Zelda.


HILDA

Here’s my estimated monthly sales gross, and here’s my projected annual gross. With a pudding stain on it, gross.


ZELDA

Hilda, if you want to turn a profit you’re gonna have to cut costs.


SALEM (on the phone)

Or, if you really wanna' make some serious mullah, talk to my investment counsellor, Sid.


SID (V/O from phone)

Hello?


SALEM (talking into phone)

Yeah, Sid. Hey, put me down for a hundred on Run Like Hell in the fifth.


***


Sabrina and Roxie are both sat beside each other at the table, studying. Miles is in the kitchen looking through the fridge, and Josh is pacing around by the stairs.


JOSH (shouting)

Hey, Morgan! You almost ready?


MORGAN (V/O from upstairs)

One more minute! I’m layering my scent.


MILES (to Josh)

I don’t wanna' know what that means.


ROXIE (to Sabrina)

OK, how does this sound? Hamlet, the young Danish prince, is possibly one of Shakespeare’s most...most...most...


SABRINA (joking)

Most... repetitive characters?


ROXIE

OK, so now you’re making fun of me. Like I’m not under enough pressure. If I read this play one more time my brains gonna'explode!


SABRINA

Well, now you’ve officially graduated to madness one-oh-two.


The doorbell rings, and Roxie opens the door to find Ryan.


ROXIE

Ryan. Come on in.


RYAN (stepping in)

Thanks.


ROXIE

Let me guess, you’re here because you’re having as much trouble with this Hamlet paper as I am?


RYAN

Argh no, Morgan’s fixing me up with a friend of hers. We’re doubling with her and Josh.


JOSH (approaching)

Oh, hey Ryan.


RYAN (shaking hands with Josh)

Hey, how’s it going?


JOSH

Great.


ROXIE

How do you have time to go out on a date? Don’t tell me you already finished your paper.


RYAN

No, I’ll do it after the date. You know what they say, all work and no play...


MILES (cutting Ryan short)

Leads to the eventual destruction of the cerebral cortex...maybe it’s just my family.


Morgan comes and joins them.


MORGAN

I’m ready.


JOSH

Morgan, we’re just going to Denny’s for a burger.


Morgan gives him a quick kiss on the cheek.


MORGAN

You never know who you might run into.


SABRINA

Yeah, there might be a fry cook there who can put you on the cover of Mademoiselle.


MORGAN (forced laughter)

Come on, guys. (to Sabrina, Roxie and Miles) See you later.


RYAN

See you.


Morgan, Josh and Roxie exit.


ROXIE

What’s up with that?


SABRINA

Yeah, I didn’t smell any layers in her scent.


ROXIE

Not her, Ryan.


SABRINA

Oh, now he smelled good.


ROXIE

I mean, he knocks off his paper in his spare time and mine’s gonna' take me all night. I must be really stupid.


SABRINA

Well, first of all, you don’t know what Ryan’s work looks like when he turns it in. Second of all, you know, college is stressful enough, don’t add to it by trying to compare yourself to everybody else.


ROXIE

I hate to break it to you, but that’s what the whole grading system's about.


SABRINA

Oh, well in that case, what are you talking to me for? You’ve got a paper to write, missy.


Sabrina walks off.


***


Sabrina is walking her way through the hallway at Adam's, and comes across Morgan.


SABRINA

Hey, Morgan, by the look of last nights eye shadow on your chin I’m guessing the evening went well.


MORGAN

Oh, it was fantastic. We all ended up at this party until four in the morning.


SABRINA

Really? That’s about the same time that Roxie got done with her Hamlet paper.


MORGAN

Wow. You know if I liked her more, I’d sort of feel bad for her.


SABRINA

You know, Roxie works her tail off for her GPA, how is Ryan able to go out and party all night and still get good grades?


MORGAN

Hello, star pitcher for the baseball team.


SABRINA

Hello, don’t understand what that has to do with anything.


MORGAN

Sabrina, you are so naive. The school grades athletes' way easier, plus, the coaches encourage those guys to take cake classes which are guaranteed A’s, like bowling, and life style skills, which, by the way, I aced.


SABRINA

Giving any student that kind of preferential treatment is totally unethical.


MORGAN (yawns as she turns away)

Yeah. Anyway, whatever. (walks off)


Zelda comes in Sabrina's direction.


SABRINA

Hey, Aunt Zelda, have you ever been told to take it easier academically on star athletes?


ZELDA

No, although I must admit, I don’t get a lot of middle line backers taking advanced quantum mechanics. Why do you ask?


SABRINA

Well, it seems to be a practice that goes on here with certain teachers.


ZELDA

That’s appalling! You know the same thing happened with the varsity jousters in high school. In alchemy, Merlin just let them pull A’s out of a hat.


SABRINA

Did you do anything about it?


ZELDA

When was the last time you saw a jouster?


***


Professor Klaveman is at his desk in an empty classroom grading some papers. Sabrina pops her head in through the door.


SABRINA

This calls for a closer inspection. Much closer.


Sabrina zaps herself away in array of sparks. At his desk, Professor Klaveman dismisses his blunt pencil and picks up a new one, Sabrina's face morphed into the rubber at the top. He picks up Roxie's paper.


SABRINA

Roxie’s paper. She’ll definitely get an A. (after Professor Klaveman marks Roxie's paper a B) Hey. She worked really hard on that! (Klaveman rubs his chin with the rubber) And that tickles!


Sabrina watches closely as Professor Klaveman grades Ryan's paper an A – which should really be an F with the effort he's put in:


SORRY I DIDN'T HAVE TIME DO THE PAPER. I HAD BASEBALL PRACTISE.


SABRINA

An A for party boy? That’s insane. I’ll fix that. (forces Klaveman into remarking the result) OK, that’s more like it.


Professor Klaveman is befuddled. More harshly, he erases the F and replaces it with his original grade.


SABRINA

Aw, hey! Watch the earrings. Hey! Hey! (he continues trying to write the A) No! No! Arghhhh!


PROFESSOR KLAVEMAN (about his pencil)

This is the last time I buy from Staples.


SABRINA

I wonder if there’s any Dramamine in that drawer? (Sabrina's pencil is thrown across the room) Gently! Argh!


***


Sabrina is sitting at a table in the coffeehouse typing away on her laptop. Josh approaches.


JOSH

Sabrina, you’ve been working on that article for hours. Can I get you anything?


SABRINA

Either a solution to unfair grading practices for athletes, or a pumpkin bagel.


JOSH

A pumpkin bagel coming up. (turns away to the counter; Hilda is behind the counter unloading donuts) Hey, where are the pumpkin bagels?


HILDA

In the pumpkin bagel patch.


JOSH

Huh?


HILDA

In the interest of lowering overhead we are no longer in the exotic carbohydrate business. From now on, all we sell are plain bagels and glazed donuts.


JOSH

Hilda, we have an eclectic, sophisticated clientele, all right. A lot of the people who come in here look forward to their cran-apple poppy seed scones.


HILDA

They may like them, but in order for me to turn a decent profit I would have to charge separately for the crans, the apples and the poppy seeds.


JOSH

Well, hey, if all you’re worried about is profit, why don’t you just start making the cappuccino’s with instant coffee?


Hilda shows Josh an example of what he just said.


HILDA

Way ahead of you. Just put in some hot steam mocha mix, sprinkle cinnamon on it, nobody will know the difference...except my accountant.


***


Zelda is in her classroom packing up. Sabrina is sitting on a table.


ZELDA

This article of yours is causing quite a stir on campus.


SABRINA

Oh,well is that not the purpose of good journalism? To shine a light on important issues and make people think?


ZELDA (they start walking for the door)

Exactly. And rumour has it the school is gonna crack down on preferential grading practices.


SABRINA

Oh, that’s great! I’m really happy for Roxie. Finally the playing field will be level.


ZELDA

I’m very proud of you, Sabrina. You stood up for what was right and you didn’t have to cast a pox on any jousters. (they are now out of the classroom) You deserve a pat on the back.


Zelda leaves. Morgan is over talking to Ryan and a group of jocks.


MORGAN (to Ryan)

Hey, there she is.


RYAN (approaching Sabrina)

Nice work, Spellman.


SABRINA

Oh, hey, did you like my article?


RYAN (sarcastic at first)

Loved every word. Thanks to you I’m out of the big play-off game next Saturday.


SABRINA

What?


RYAN

The coach just benched me until I finish all my assignments.


MORGAN

I hope you’re proud of yourself. You just cost Adams College the championship.


Morgan and the group of jocks walk off.


SABRINA

At least I didn’t give anyone a pox.


Roxie walks over.


ROXIE

Way to go, Sabrina. Because of your stupid article I can kiss my A in bowling goodbye.


SABRINA

What are you talking about? You’re taking bowling?


ROXIE

I needed a cake-class to keep up my GPA. Bowling was the one course where I didn’t have to work my tail off to get a good grade, but now, because of you, my teacher says we have to actually show up and learn how to bowl.


SABRINA

You’re really taking bowling?


ROXIE

Yes. And, now I have to get an A on the bowling final.


SABRINA

There’s a bowling final?


ROXIE

There is now.


SABRINA

Look, I’m sorry, I really am. I just wanted to make things fair, for you, for everybody.


ROXIE

Well, I’m not everybody. Just someone who’s gonna' fail bowling and lose her scholarship. Thanks a lot, Spellman.


Roxie walks off in a huff.


SABRINA (Roxie is gone)

I can’t believe this is happening. (pause) I can’t believe there’s a bowling final.


***


At the coffeehouse, Josh is behind the counter not exactly "loving" the new crowd. Hilda is walking around with the coffee pot.


JOSH (serving a customer)

One glazed donut and freeze dried coffee coming up.


WAYNE

Thank you kindly, son. So, how much rain do you figure we’re gonna' get?


JOSH

The same amount as when you asked me five minutes ago.


WAYNE

That’s true, those danged weathermen never get it right. How much do you think weathermen get paid?


JOSH

The same amount as when you asked me five minutes ago.


WAYNE (taking his order)

You have a nice day now.


JOSH

Oh, well that depends on the weather, doesn’t it?


WAYNE

You’re catching on.


Wayne turns away as Hilda walks over.


JOSH

Hilda, this glazed donut crowd is driving me crazy. I’m ready to beat my head against the espresso machine.


HILDA

Do it quick, 'cause I’m trading down to an instant hot cocoa dispenser. Thanks to the glazed donut crowd, I’m rolling in dough.


JOSH

Nothing against making money, but the quality of conversation in here has gone from ‘Is there a God?’ to ‘Are the bass bitin’ down at the lake?’


HILDA

I had no idea you were such an elitist. You need to embrace the down homeliness of our new customers. (walking over to Wayne) Hi Wayne, knee still acting up?


WAYNE (awakening)

Ohhh...(goes back off as Sabrina walks in)


HILDA (to an elder woman with a southern accent)

Maureen, let me know which hot dish to bring to fellowship supper. I love that new leg, Fred.


SABRINA

Hey, Hilda, since when do you talk like someone who married their first cousin?


HILDA (with southern accent)

Since it started making me a pickle barrel of cash. Yeeaahh!


JOSH (taking Sabrina away)

Check your IQ at the door. Our new customers say it’s looking like rain, over and over and over again.


SABRINA (as they go to the counter)

I’d rather hear about the rain than how I’m responsible for Adams star pitcher not playing in the game against Emerson next Saturday. Josh, do you think writing that article was a mistake?


JOSH

Absolutely not. You stuck with your convictions, you took a stand. You let everybody know that Sabrina Spellman cares about what’s right.


SABRINA (as Josh removes his apron)

Thanks, Josh. (sudden realization as Josh's shirt is visable) Wait a minute. You didn’t care about the principle, you just wanted your school to win on Saturday.


JOSH

I want justice to win, and if my school should benefit in the process, so be it. You have a nice day now.


SABRINA (as she buses some tables)

Excuse me, any chance it’s fixin’ t’ rain on Saturday?


WAYNE

Could be ‘cause my knee is acting up. Course could be from the other day when I bent down funny. Oh jeez, there it goes.


Josh bangs his head against the espresso machine.


***


Roxie and Morgan are sat at the table studying, when Sabrina walks in through the front door.


SABRINA

Hey.


MORGAN

Oh, it’s you.


SABRINA

You aren’t still mad at me about the game are you?


MORGAN

No, now I’m mad at you because you put a major crimp in my social life. Ryan was going to take Josh and me to a party but now he’s home, chained to his books.


SABRINA

Look, I know it seems unfair now but in twenty years somebody somewhere will thank me. (indistinctly) Please God I hope.


MORGAN

It certainly won't be me.


Morgan collects her books and goes upstairs.


ROXIE (standing beside Sabrina)

Me either. Thanks to you, I have to study Introduction to bowling theory for the, all important, written portion of my final exam. (Miles goes to the kitchen) Then I’ll have exactly one hour to throw a bowling ball that doesn’t land in the snack bar.


MILES (walking over)

I know how to bowl, I could give you some pointers.


SABRINA

Oh, that’s a great idea. Miles is probably an incredible bowler, I mean that is a face that screams, ‘I own my own ball’


MILES

Sixteen pounds orange marble with a monogrammed bag.


ROXIE

You can lift a sixteen pound ball with those scrawny arms?


MILES

Believe me, it took years of conditioning.


SARINA

Look, it’s a great learning opportunity. Plus, you’re desperate. Go!


ROXIE (not happy)

Fine. (on Sabrina's nudge) I mean, great.


MILES

Let me just grab a wrist guard, chamois and rosin bag. (walks off)


ROXIE (to Sabrina, sarcastic)

It only gets better.


***


At the bowling alley. Roxie rolls a ball down the gutter. Miles is standing in purple overalls behind her.


ROXIE

Argh! I’m never gonna learn this!


MILES

Sure you will. (steps up and takes his ball) It’s very simple. First, step forward on your right foot. (he demonstrates and Roxie copies) Extend the ball, going into a down swing. Then, bring the ball into a back swing slowly as the left foot gradually comes forward. Then, when you reach the top of the back swing, step forward with the right foot, go into a slide on the left foot. Then, at precisely the moment the slide ends release the ball thumb first and position your hand at approximately a forty-five degrees angle to your eyes. (rolls the ball down the lane)


ROXIE

And that’s all there is to it?


Miles gets a strike.


MILES

No, I like to do a little dance right about now. (and he does so)


***


Sabrina walks into her aunt's kitchen to find Salem on the counter.


SABRINA

Hey, Salem, have you seen aunt Zelda?


SALEM

Since when did I become her personal secretary? Hey, which horse do you like better? Shaved Turkey or Slap Me Silly?


SABRINA (turning to the fridge)

I know I’d like to slap you silly.


SALEM

And I’d like to shave a turkey. The point is, I’ve got to pick a horse and call my bookie. Oh, by the by, I’ve also got a boatload riding on the Adams, Emerson game.


SABRINA (sitting at the table with her milk carton)

Oh, I hope you didn’t bet on Adams. Thanks to my article, the star pitcher can’t play and everyone’s expecting us to lose big.


SALEM

Ghe? I’ve got to page Sid at the track and tell him I meant Emerson. God, I hope he’s still sober. (runs away as Zelda walks in from the back door)


ZELDA

Hi, honey, I’m so glad to see you.


SABRINA

I can guarantee you’re the only person in town who’s said that today.


ZELDA

You should be proud of what you did. You tried to correct an injustice and that’s truly admirable.


SABRINA

Then why is everyone looking at me like I’m the girl who told Felicity to cut her hair?


ZELDA (sitting down)

Sabrina, you don’t do a selfless thing for the glory, you do it because it’s right.


SABRINA

Well, I don’t think it’s right that Roxie lose her scholarship, or for Adams to lose the big game. There’s got to be some way to set things right.


ZELDA

Well, you could use your powers to make it rain frogs, but that’s been done to death.


SABRINA

What about cats and dogs?


ZELDA

If you think frogs are messy...


SABRINA

Acid rain? No, too much. I’ll come up with something.


***


Roxie bowls a ball down the lane and hits down one pin at the back. She turns back to Miles, who is sitting around at the score tablet in boredom.


ROXIE

Yes! I think I’m finally getting the hang of this. What’s my score now?


MILES

Twelve, in the fifth frame.


ROXIE

Is that good?


MILES

Only for a respirator.


Sabrina walks over.


SABRINA

Guys, how’s the lesson going?


ROXIE

Do you really wanna' know?


SABRINA

I don’t know. (to Miles) Do I?


Miles indistinctly shakes his head.

ROXIE

The final starts in five minutes and the only way I’m gonna pass is if I run down the alley and throw myself at the pins.


SABRINA

Do they allow that? (Roxie and Miles glare) Hey, I’ve never taken bowling.


MILES (to Roxie)

I’m telling you, you can do this. I’ve showed all the moves, you just have to relax.


ROXIE

My scholarships going right into the gutter, how am I supposed to relax?


SABRINA (speaking to herself)

I may have a way. (murmuring an incantation) Roxie’s too uptight we know, chill her out so she can bowl like a pro.


After Sabrina zaps her finger over at Roxie, Roxie picks up a bowling ball and after a suspenseful relay, she bowls it down the lane and scores her first strike. She turns back, excited.


SABRINA

Very nice. (quickly) Gotta go.


She walks off as Roxie and Miles bang together.


***


Ryan is in his dorm room, at his desk looking over his book, when there is a knock at the door. He goes and opens the door and Sabrina steps in immediately.


SABRINA

OK, let me start by saying I’m sorry. Now that’s done, let’s get down to business.


RYAN

Excuse me?


SABRINA

Well, you’ve got to finish your work and bring your grades up by Saturday and I’m here to help.


RYAN

You wanna' help? Turn around and walk back out that door.


SABRINA

OK, Ryan, look, you’re probably so overwhelmed you don’t even know where to begin and you’ve probably forgotten how to study, you’ve skated by for so long. (examining his work so far) And you’re certainly not going to get anywhere by doodling ‘I hate Sabrina.’


RYAN

All right then, what am I supposed to do?


SABRINA

First of all, never spell Sabrina with three N's. Second of all, the sooner we open these books, the sooner you’ll be on that playing field.


RYAN

I don’t think that’s gonna' happen.


SABRINA

Sit down and let’s talk Hamlet.


***


Hilda is sitting on the armrest of the couch in the centre of coffeehouse, disturbed as she talks with Wayne.

WAYNE

So, I finally break down and get myself one of them riding mowers and what happens? It rains for days. So I can’t mow my lawn. It’s the darndest thing.


HILDA (pacing)

The darndest thing? I’ll tell you what’s the darndest thing. This conversation and every conversation I’ve had in this place since you glazed donut people took over! All you talk about is the weather! Your fish! And your farm equipment! I don’t care about profits, I want my cran-apple poppy seed people back!


WAYNE

Cran-apple poppy seed? That’s crazy talk!


HILDA

Oh, yeah? Well how’s this for crazy talk? Skidadle! Shoo! Shoo! Y’all don’t come back now, you hear?


Most of the customers get up and exit almost immediately. Josh runs over.


JOSH

And take this complimentary jar of freeze dried coffee with you. (gives it to Wayne)


WAYNE

The missus will really like this.


As he leaves, Josh embraces Hilda with a big hug.


JOSH

Thanks, boss.


***


Roxie and Miles are sitting at the table eating breakfast. Morgan comes over from the kitchen with a plate.


MORGAN

Anyone want some of my tofu seaweed omelette?


MILES

Sure, I’ll try it. (dips his fork in)


MORGAN

Oh, it’s not to eat, it’s a deep cleaning facial mask.


MILES

That explains the witch hazel aftertaste.


Sabrina walks in through the front door.


SABRINA

Hi. (as she continues on) Nighty-night.


ROXIE

Hold on, it’s nine AM. Where have you been all night?



SABRINA

Ryan’s dorm-room.


ROXIE / MORGAN

What?


SABRINA

We were just studying.


MORGAN (going to the kitchen)

Yeah, all right. Like I’ve never used that one before.


SABRINA

Relax. I’m just helping him catch up with his classes. He’s about halfway through, now it’s up to him to go the distance.


ROXIE (standing)

Speaking of which...


SABRINA (interrupting)

I’m not a witch!


ROXIE

Excuse me?


SABRINA

Aargh, I’m sorry, I’m really tired. Did you say something?


ROXIE

I passed my bowling final with flying colours!


SABRINA

That’s great! Congratulations. (she and Roxie high-five)


ROXIE

Yeah, I’ll be able to keep my scholarship and you know what? It was kinda' fun learning a new skill.


MILES (at Roxie's side)

I have much to teach you. Just think of me as your personal Yoda. (Roxie gives him a look) Or we could just stick with, hey, you.


***


Sabrina walks over to Miles and Roxie, who have just walked into the hallway between classes at Adam's. She is wearing shaded sunglasses.


SABRINA

Oh, hey Roxie, hey Miles.


MILES

Why are you dressed like Ray Charles?


SABRINA

Oh, I just came to slip into my three o’clock class and slip out with my life. That is unless Ryan turned in his work on time and things are back to normal.


STUDENT (walking by Sabrina)

Spellman, I hope you trip over your lap-top and die.


SABRINA (removing her sunglasses)

Well, at least you guys appreciate me. It’s good to know I still have friends I can count on.


MILES

We’re here for you, Sabrina.


ROXIE

Through thick and thin.


Ryan is approaching with his group from down the corridor.


RYAN

Hey, Sabrina!


ROXIE

We’re out of here.


Roxie and Miles walk off, as Sabrina is approached by Ryan and his group.


RYAN

I’ve got good news, I handed in all my assignments and I get to play on Saturday.


SABRINA

Did everyone hear that? Ryan gets to play in the game on Saturday! Wa-who!


Sabrina waves her hand around and hits Ryan in the eye.


RYAN (shielding his eye)

Ow! How am I gonna pitch if I can’t see?


SABRINA

I can’t believe I lost the championship twice and it hasn’t even been played yet.


Ryan releases his hand. He is fine.


RYAN

I was just having some fun with you. (pause) But, just to be on the safe side, do you think you could stay away from the field on Saturday?


SABRINA

Yeah, anything I can do to be a good athletic supporter. (gives Ryan a playful hit) Gotta' go. (walks off)


***


Sabrina and Zelda are sat on the couch in the living room listening to the game on the radio. Salem is on the opposite couch, with an Emerson hat on.


COMMENTATOR (V/O)

Adams leads one to nothing. It’s bottom of the ninth, two outs. Emerson‘s down to their last chance. Johnson steps up to the plate.


SALEM

Go, Emerson! Knock it out of the park, Johnson!


SABRINA/ZELDA

Nobatternobatternobatter hey!


ZELDA

You know what I love about baseball? It’s all part of the game to be abusive and obnoxious.


SABRINA

Do you know what I like best? The snacks. (signalling at Salem) Hey, peanuts over here! (after receiving her snack) Thanks, Salem.


SALEM

How can you eat legumes when there’s so much riding on this?


ZELDA

Salem, it’s just a game.


SALEM

To you. To me it’s the chance to become fabulously wealthy...or live as a fugitive and have my face surgically altered.


COMMENTATOR (V/O)

Johnson hits the ball deep, deep, deep to left field!


SALEM

Yes! Yes! Yes!


COMMENTATOR (V/O)

And it’s....caught! The games over! Adams wins!


Sabrina and Zelda jump up on the good news and high-five. The phone goes off.


SALEM

That should be Sid...and I should be booking my plastic surgeon and the next flight to the Carmen Islands. Toodles.


Salem jumps from his seat on the couch and races upstairs.


***


END CREDITS


***


Based on characters appearing in ARCHIE COMICS


Episode originally written by Laurie Gelman.